Early dated 1492 AV Doppel Goldgulden did not sell

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Nov 26, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

At the Munzenonline event/ the RRRR AV Doppel Goldgulden did not sell/ opening bid was 70K Swiss Francs/ 3 known

On the otherhand the 1933 Double eagle 17 known and counting sold for 13 M go figure. 00252g00.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Its all about demand I guess. Many US issues are hugely overpriced but if this 'bubble' should burst, I dread to think of the impact on all aspects of the numismatics industry.

What I find even more unusual is that a GB guinea or gold Escudos coin counter stamped by Ephraim Brasher or John Burger in VG or Fine grade sells for many times more than the original in MS grade:D

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

The one thing good....
    Spain struck a slew of gold coinage from the time they discovered the "New World". Their newly found possessions in the Americas gave them lots of gold and silver to turn into AV 8/4/2/1/1/2 Escudos. They even minted AV 100 Escudos/ 50 Execellentes. Today there are many MS coins (8 escudos) available to average collectors like us:D English/ British pirates/ naval forces stole much of this when it was shipped to Spain. Of course AV 5 Guineas/ 10 Dukaten are very $$$$$$.

tibor likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not much figuring to do. It was that very line of thinking, (world coins comparable in rarity/scarcity to US coins being "cheap"), that started the world coin market on it's upward climb back in 2003.

If you look hard enough you'll find where I wrote about it and promoted that line of thinking back then. You'll even find comments where I say that I became my own worst enemy because the long ignored coins I was writing about became so popular so quickly that they tripled in price within 2 years. It quickly became one of those situations where ya don't know whether to smile or cry !

panzerman likes this.
  6. panzerman

You and me both think the same:) World/ Ancient coins are still way better deals vs US coinage when you take in the rarity factor. I have many "World/ Ancient" examples where less then five are known/ all of them cost me under 5K. Imagine a US Double Eagle (5 or less known) and the hammer price for a MS ex.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted