Early Chinese Hu-peh Silver Dollar, Don't know anything about them...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Kevin Farley, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Hey I just recently started looking through the bunch of Foreign Coins I have with some interest. This is one of them that caught my eye cause I knew I'd seen one before and that it could have some value. However as I've read online, they're faked like mad, and obviously I'm sure this one is a fake, but I've heard those can be valuable too. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge on what types of fakes have value, how to tell for sure if this type of coin is a fake, and whether or not this one is an elaborate fake because of the clippings on either side of the rim, and the multiple chopmarks around the outside reeds. Weighs around 21g, which I believe is pretty light but all the wear, clippings etc. could account for a couple grams I'd think

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing from someone that knows about these coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It might be fake just like most unshaved fat man dollars.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Doesn't look good to me.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Technical weight is 26.7g.

Not genuine.

The Eidolon likes this.
  6. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Did you people even read the post? lol

7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Its a poorly done fake. It is not worth anything.
    Certainly doesn't look silver

8. svessien

svessien Senior Member

The question here is if it’s a modern or a contemporary fake. These coins were counterfeited with white metals at the time when they were in circulation. Those fakes are worth something, but I have no idea how much and how to distinguish them from modern copies.
    As we’re talking about China here, there are layers upon layers of counterfeiting, so it may even be a modern copy of a contemporary counterfeit coin too:) I just can’t deal with this nonsense, although I like the design of Chinese coins.

Kevin Farley and Evan Saltis like this.
  9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It would not even be contemporary. Coins back in the days were tested for silver by chopmark. This would fail immediately. It looks like a lead / antimony metal. Alloy might be interesting to know however I wouldn't want to hold it with bare hands for too long. Some of the counterfeits that I own are pretty nasty stuff - I had some mild irritating reaction handing it raw.

I would have much better luck buying a lotto ticket and win the 1st prize instead of hoping that this is genuine. Learn and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted