Early Birthday Present - Courtesy of BofA

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by FmrFiatFollower, Oct 21, 2014.

1. FmrFiatFollower

FmrFiatFollower Note-orious & Numismatic

Hello, my fellow treasure hunters!

My birthday is just around the corner and I'm one step closer to the precipice of the hill...If there is one thing I've learned from coin roll hunting it's that persistence pays off, but not until you're just about ready to "call it a quits".

I had all but given up on half-dollar roll hunting after a very lackluster run of several tens of thousands of coins searched with nothing to show for it.

Today, I've finally surpassed an old record of mine from years ago by collecting 242 pre-1970 half dollars out of 10 boxes. Surprisingly, the vast majority of them were collected from four boxes. Many rolls had 2-3 silvers, some contained 4-5 in each roll and I think a half dozen or so had 6-8 per roll...My hands couldn't unroll them fast enough.

Here is the breakdown:

Box #1:

• 1965: 3
    • 1966: 9
    • 1967: 28
    • 1968-D: 36
    • 1969-D: 32

Box #2:

• 1958-D: 1

Box #3:

• 1965: 3
    • 1966: 8
    • 1967: 20
    • 1968-D: 16
    • 1969-D: 17
    • 1973-S: 1

Box #4:

• NOTHING

Box #5:

• 1966: 2
    • 1967: 2
    • 1968-D: 2
    • 1969-D: 2

Box #6:

• 1965: 1

Box #7:

• NOTHING

Box #8:

• NOTHING

Box #9:

• 1969-D: 1

Box #10:

• 1964: 2
    • 1965: 5
    • 1966: 5
    • 1967: 14
    • 1968-D: 20
    • 1969-D: 13
    DSC02714.JPG DSC02715.JPG DSC02716.JPG DSC02719.JPG DSC02721.JPG

The best part of the night was my family joining in on the excitement which made it all the more enjoyable, and something I'd like to repeat in the not-so-distant future :)

So, thank you, Bank of America for my early birthday gift...lets make this a regular thing please!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I need to start dime searching again.

4. FmrFiatFollower

I enjoy searching the dimes and nickels also. If memory serves, I've never had any luck with the quarters though.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

forget doing quarters. no luck at all.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The next time you're in your local branch, be sure to ask the teller if they use a BoA central repository for ordering their boxes of coins. Here, in SW Florida, BoA uses the central repository so all coins deposited are recycled through it. For a denomination like half dollars (that aren't normally used by most businesses) you can end up searching the same coins in relatively short order.

Chris

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

amazing, congrats, and Happy B'day.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Happy Birthday. too.

9. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

10. FmrFiatFollower

Thanks, Chris...I've asked them in the past an it appears everyone in town uses Loomis. I don't know if there is a repository outside of Loomis but I will definitely ask.

BTW - have you found other banks who don't use a central repository?

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I may be wrong, but I believe Loomis is merely the transport company. Banks that don't have their own repository, like BoA, usually get their boxes of coins direct from the Federal Reserve Banks. The only time that the BoA repository orders boxes of coins from the Fed is when their own supply runs low.

I've been banking with BoA for as long as they have been in SW Florida. You might try one of your local credit unions or a small privately owned bank.

Chris

12. FmrFiatFollower

Thanks again, Chris.

I made some calls today and found the vault tellers to be fairy receptive about my questions/concerns once I told them what I was doing...Asking who their cash handler/money carrier is seems like a real good way to send the wrong kind of signal.

At any rate I called every bank in town today and found out that BofA just sold their repository to Garda and they have Loomis transport the funds from the facility to the bank branches around town. Most other banks offered to order coin for me but said it was all done by Loomis through the Fed.

I have found one bank which is only in the tri-state area which doesn't order in any they just store what customer's bring in and send it out when the request is made by one of their branches...It might be a good way of finding some so I ordered a few thousand from them and I will see how it goes.

I've not resorted to marking the coins I've sorted but I've always been interested to see how it works on the back end.

13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Wow. What a find sir! Happy b day. Like you said, I've wanted to call it quits so many times. I just do it rarely now, but your work inspires me! I seem to get more luck just checking my change.

14. FmrFiatFollower

I hope its inspirational! It sure inspired me to keep it up even though my runs since then have been a little lackluster.

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

We'll judging by your last run, I think you're keeping up just fine. When I go, I maybe get a box of cents, 10 dollars in nickels, 10 in dimes, and maybe 30 or 40 dollars in halves if they have them. I guess I should probably put down a higher initial investment but I'm usually low in funds

16. FmrFiatFollower

Hi, joecoincollect:

I started out with a much more modest amount. When I first started sorting/hunting I would sell the silver to give me more funds to hunt with. Looking back on that now, I wish I had just held onto the coins instead because I didn't realize how few and far between they really are. The fact that you're looking at all puts you further ahead than the 90% of people that don't.

Keep it up!

17. FmrFiatFollower

In typical Monday evening fashion, I sorted through another 8 boxes of halves. Although this wasn't as nice of a haul as the one from last week I'm very pleased with the haul. Here is the breakdown:

Box #1:

1964: 2
    1966: 9
    1968-D: 3
    1969-D: 9
    1974-S: 1
    1976-S: 1

Box #2:

1967: 3
    1969-D: 2
    2007-S: 1

Box #3:

1964: 1
    1966: 3
    1967: 13
    1968-D: 8
    1949-D: 4
    1996: 1 (Gold plated)

Box #4:

1966: 1
    1967: 5
    1969-D: 4

Box #5:

NOTHING

Box#6:

1968-D: 1
    1996-S: 1

Box #7:

NOTHING

Box #8:

1958-D: 1
    1966: 6
    1967: 1
    1969-D: 5
    1976-S: 1

I also found a handful of NIFC halves from 2006-2011. As much as I enjoy finding Kennedy and Franklin halves, I was surprised to find two of the bicentennial proof silver halves in the boxes I searched, I've never turned one of those up in a box let alone two!

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted