Early Antony and Octavian denarius struck in 41 BCE

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It's been a slow year for me....4 months in and only 4 coins acquired. ButI feel like I've matured collection wise, and I'm no longer a newbie buying just to buy because I don't have too many coins. Rather, my tastes are a little more specific and I prefer to wait for something really special.

Here's my latest offering to this forum:

I have a Mark Antony Denarius, but just not a portrait one :(

82693q00 (1).jpg

And I have an Augustus denarius, just not an Octavian denarius (before he was emperor) :depressed:

ok5LK4kT5sY3Z8bQ9tcCgNz6r7JeR3.jpg

I know what I want, a special coin with the portrait of Octavian before he was emperor, and one of Mark Antony with this portrait. I wonder, oh how I wonder, how I'm going to accomplish that. Oh, what's this?

Killing two birds with one stone!

AmazingDearHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

Isn't it a beauty?

89497q00.jpg AR Denarius
    Mark Antony and Octavian
    Traveling military mint, or possibly Ephesus mint
    3.467g, 19.5mm
    Spring - Early summer 41 B.C.
    Obverse M ANT IMP AVG III VIR R P C M BARBAT Q P, bare head of Antony right
    Reverse CAESAR IMP PONT III VIR R P C, bare beardless head of Octavian right
    Ex: Errett Bishop Collection
    Crawford 517/2, Sydenham 1181, BMCRR East 103, Sear CRI 243, RSC I Mark Antony and Augustus 8, SRCV I 1504

Ok, so it's less that perfect. There's a banker's mark under Mark Antony's chin, some scratches, toning, etc., but let's look at the positive and endearing things this coin has to offer. Namely, the price. because it is less than perfect my bank account did not take a major hit. :greedy: Also, the portraits are well centered and the legends are all there. And unlike later issues that cost more $$$, this early issue was also within my reach because of the less than realistic Octavian portrait (the celators clearly knew what Antony looked like but had never seen Octavian). So all in all, I think it was a good acquisition in a year that's all about quality of acquisition over quantity.

Here's a Wildwinds specimen for reference:

RSC_08_[Antony_Octavian].1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice @Sallent. I would love one of these, but I've put my buying on hold for a while while I try to cull my herd.
    [​IMG]

Ryro, ominus1 and Sallent like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done Oz! Very nice. Honestly, until you pointed out the bankers mark, I totally missed it. (I like banker's marks, they add character.)

Congrats on the super find! Looks great!

Good to see you back, @Sallent !

Here is mine, similar:

upload_2019-4-11_15-53-52.png
    RImp Antony-Octavian AR Denarius 41 BCE 3.65g 18.7mm Military mint Syria star Craw 528-2a Sear 1507

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    randygeki, Ryro, ominus1 and 7 others like this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A wonderful pickup @Sallent . Congrats!

Sallent likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin @Sallent. Was missing your posts, glad to see you are back.

Sallent likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin, much better than mine.

[​IMG]
    Mark Antony and Octavian (41 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    M. Barbatius Pollio, quaestor pro praetore
    O: Bare head of Mark Antony right.
    R: Bare head of Octavian right, wearing slight beard.
    Ephesus mint, Spring-early summer 41 B.C.
    3.5g
    20mm
    Crawford 517/2; CRI 243; Sydenham 1181

Bing, randygeki, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  8. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Nice addition, Octavian has the worst cauliflower ear I have ever seen on a coin ;)

Sallent likes this.
  9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...yeah ole buddy big O..nice choice coins there!...good to see ya back..(wow, i just bought tonite a telescope and believe it or not, while i was checking it out, i thought of you and your mobile fone one :p)

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Congrats on your new telescope. This is a great time of year to watch Jupiter and Saturn, as well as the Orion nebula, Pleiades star cluster, and Venus just before sunrise. Can't wait to see some images of your scope. Congrats.

ominus1 likes this.
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

You warned us you wouldn't be buying as much at the beginning of the year. But man, I thought you were just BSING!
    Glad to have you and your bird smashing sense of humor back (even if I do love me some birdies).
    But what a way to show up! I've wanted one of them for some time. And I really like bankers marks, so long as they don't touch the portrait nor distract. Fantastic acquisition!
    Here's my po boy, no portraits please, quiny version:
    4B5C6D56-F972-4E60-807C-268A7F8ACDE9.png
    Marc Antony & Octavian

AR Quinarius. Military mint moving with Octavian, 39 BC. Head of Concordia right, wearing diadem and veil, III VIR R P C around / Two hands clasped around caduceus, M ANTON C CAESAR around. Crawford 529/4b

Ancient Aussie, Sallent, Bing and 3 others like this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted