Eagle, port hole question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Wingnut6999, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Are the 1899 eagles and port holes with 2 symbols more collectable and/or saught after than the ones with the letters. I love eagleobv.jpg 1899obv.jpg them and will probably be buying these 2 or something like them. Just curious

Legomaster1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Neat old folding money - I'm no currency expert, but the designs were certainly more artistic back then ;)

Wingnut6999 likes this.
  4. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Not really more collectible, but I think they're kinda neat. The ones with no letters are just the first block printed--the first 100,000,000 notes.

The 1899 $1, in particular, had a *lot* more notes printed than any previous series, so the BEP had to get a bit creative with the serialling to avoid running out of blocks. Over the course of 24 years or so, they printed:
    • One "plain" block, with symbols at both ends of the serial.
    • Fourteen single-letter blocks, with a letter prefix and symbol suffix. These were A, B, D, E, H, K, M, N, R, T, V, X, Y, Z.
    • Fifteen double-letter blocks, with matching prefix and suffix letters: AA, BB, DD, EE, HH, KK, MM, NN, RR, TT, UU, VV, XX, YY, ZZ.
    • Eleven A-suffix blocks, with changing prefix letters while suffix letter A remained constant: BA, DA, EA, HA, KA, MA, NA, RA, TA, VA, XA.
    One of each serial style might make a neat set. If you want, you could even throw in a star note; they all have prefix * and suffix B.

The 1899 $2 was printed in smaller quantities, so it only used the "plain" block and then single letters up to R, with no double letters needed.

5. Wingnut6999

Thanks for the info. I've always loved these notes and since I am restarting my collection, the 2 symbol notes would be a great start.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Black Eagles are always in demand.

Wingnut6999 likes this.
  7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

especially like the lazy deuce, captures by by gone era :)

8. Wingnut6999

Just pulled the trigger on the deuce. Can't wait for it to get here . :)

9. Collecting Nut

I just noticed that all 4 corners are missing. A common problem on $2.00 notes. Unless you got a good price you may want to reconsider. Sorry I didn't see that earlier.

10. mpcusa

if you dont plan on getting it graded, not a big deal, i have many examples
    of cool notes that are missing pieces, its a starting point :)

11. Wingnut6999

Yep. I saw that too, but it's one of those I wanted a deuce and in particular this one. After looking at so many, under 200 was a good price to me.

Collecting Nut and mpcusa like this.
  12. mpcusa

You can always get a better example later, when money allows for sure
    Gives you extra time to shop.

13. Collecting Nut

Just wanted to make sure.

Wingnut6999 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted