Eagle of the Ostrogoths

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

A new Ostro type for me. Can't exactly pay for it at the moment so its been put on hold for me. A little off-center, but these hardly come to sale and it wasn't hundreds of dollars that similar and better ones usually go for. That aside, it imo is definitely a nice coin from the post-Roman/early medieval era in Europe.

This type is on average, smaller than the larger 40-nummi coins such as the wolf and twins folles and folles issued under Theodahad, but is a full 40 nummi denomination (my particular example would have had the XL for 40 on the left-hand side of the reverse). It was struck sometime between 493-534 AD, under the reign of Theodoric the Great, or his grandson Athalaric.

I'm searching for any symbolism the eagle may have had for the Ostrogoths, to hopefully get an idea on why they depicted it on their coins. I like to think it may have to do with the eagle's place in Roman culture, as the protector of the legions of old. This preservation and reverence of Roman culture was on Theodoric's agenda, as he wanted to be legitimized by the Roman population he had conquered, and wanting to restore the greatness of Rome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrogothic_Kingdom

Ostrogothic Kingdom of Italy
    AE Follis
    Obv: INVICT-A ROMA, Roma helmeted, facing right
    Rev: Eagle standing left and facing right, [XL to left]
    Rome mint, 493-534 AD
    Ref: COI 76b

(Seller's photo)

[​IMG]

jlblonde, vlaha, Ancientnoob and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Way awesome, great details, finding coins in this time period is tuff, nice pick up...

4. ValiantKnight

Thanks eng! I had to be a little more thorough in my search that time around to find this one.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Long-time-no-hear, Jango!!

=> great new coin (man, you own this era of our ancient coin community, eh?)

congrats!!

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You should save up some money and buy some NICE coins. NICE I tell ya! :mad:

:p

stevex6 likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats one of the nicer ones I have seen. They are on my want list as far as having an example of.

8. ValiantKnight

Thanks guys!
    Lol where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yeah, like some nice Nabataeans :p

John Anthony likes this.
  10. John Anthony

All joking aside, I admire your pursuit of coins from this era. The closest I've come is a few scrappy AE4's of Honorius and Arcadius. Someday you'll write the book on Ostrogoths.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Personally to me it appears the eagle reverse on these issues are a touch more available than the wolf and twins reverses. However, both are very, very scarce compared to most other ancients.

Fantastic pickup. Congrats on your "first dark age coin". :)

12. ValiantKnight

Your (and everyone else's) kind words are very much appreciated. I have to admit, can't help but feel sometimes that in general I'm not taken seriously because of my particular ancient numismatic pursuits, because I'm not that much into more popular coinage like first century denarii or Greek silver (of which I have none) for example. I love researching the historical eras behind coinage, and for me, I've found my main interest in this era and the later Roman era, and that interest extended into the coinage from those times.

Given the choice, I'd rather have an Anthemius or an Odoacer than a Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great.

zumbly and TIF like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

VK, I love your posts and your coins. One of these days I'll learn more about them-- or perhaps just by absorbing your posts.

Might not be a good thing for you though, if I become more competition ;)

ValiantKnight likes this.
  14. John Anthony

CT is perhaps not the best place for erudite and/or obscure numismatic conversation. That's not a criticism, just an observation. I like posting here because of the casual, friendly atmosphere, and I think most everyone does take your pursuits seriously. It's just that most of us don't have anything substantial to contribute because we're just not as knowledgeable about the various Goths as you are. I know I'm not, at any rate.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  15. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Don't feel that way. There are some here who DO know about Visigoths and Ostrogoths, as well as Merovinginians, etc. I find it a fantastic area. I collect more nowadays similarly obscure areas like Central Asia.

I feel like JA, I know most here do not share my passion for my little part of the hobby, but I believe we all respect each others various niches, like JA's fascination with Nabatea and near eastern coins.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> ditto, for me!! (although, lately I have been trying to find new coins from the later centuries) ... your coins rock, my friend!!

Side-note => hey Jango, how is your parrot doin'? (don't let it get too close to this new eagle-coin of yours ... I'm just sayin')

;)

17. John Anthony

I've learned a great deal from everyone's threads here - I read with great interest all the posts about coinage that I don't collect: Indian, Sassanian, Parthian, Ostrogothic, etc. But if I can't comment, other than offering appreciation, I don't. I've been guilty of not minding the adage that it's better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. :oops:

ValiantKnight and stevex6 like this.
  18. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Pretty interesting, The style of the Eagle reminds me of the eagle on Fascist Italy coinage -[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. ValiantKnight

Thanks guys. Glad I'm more certain now that it was just a feeling.
    Thanks steve, he's going good! Being the baby of the house as always :D I won't let him get near my coin when it arrives but I think he would definitely approve of it :)

stevex6 likes this.
  20. ValiantKnight

Looking through my coin photos and seeing my in-hand photo of my Ostro eagle, I realized I never posted it in this thread:

[​IMG]

vlaha, stevex6, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  21. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Thanks for posting so late VK, I never saw this thread.

It gives me an excuse to post this little guy!

Tiberius II 472 A.D.
    Decanummium (Say it five times fast!)
    Mint: Ravenna
    3 Grams (approx.) 15mm
    Tiberius I.jpg Tiberius I rev.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted