E-bay shipping fees

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. halfbuck

halfbuck New Member

That is a rip off! you could ship a toaster oven for that amount of $. He is pocketing the leftover $55.00. Ebay is great but beware of scammers. I'm going metal detecting it's 2 nice out.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Please note: "Ships from: Alicante, Spain"

Some well-known US dealers are asking $50+ for int'l shipping... and many even refuse to ship int'l at all... are they IDI*%# too?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Paul M. and Cascade like this.
  6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

$1 coin with $60 shipping....what a deal! LOL

7. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

Shipping fee is cheaper then the selling fee. Thats how people work around the ebay fee. Unless they fixed this already

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Unbelievable!!

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They fixed that years ago. FVF is charged on the entire total, price plus shipping.

Paul M., ThinnPikkins and Cascade like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If you're in Spain, it might be a fine deal.

I don't blame anyone for charging extra for international shipping. I eventually decided it wasn't worth my time when I was selling. (In fact, I believe it was a Spanish bidder who backed out of his winning bid for a rare and expensive microscope after he found out how many hundreds of dollars insured shipping would cost.)

Paul M. and Cascade like this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I have bought gemstones and faceting rough from a Spanish mineral dealer in Barcelona for several years, and a 400 grams parcel was $8 shipping. Small gems were $8 for first and 50 cents for additional lots in 14 day period. Fast within 8-10 days, none lost. Probably there are private methods that can be used. Just checked and still the same.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

10% fee on FV, 10% fee on shipping charges. Not combined for a total in your invoices fees but might as well be

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I am not trying to defend the seller in any way, but are you aware that $1 is only the starting bid...? As I said, many US sellers offer free shipping for US buyers but have very high shipping fees for int'l buyers, too.

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Your example is exactly WHY eBay charges sellers a Final Value Fee on shipping!
    To, hopefully, prevent this from occuring but as you can see, it has no effect.

Instead, the middle of the road sellers that take a "loss" on shipping and handling get the privilege of padding eBays coffers!

It's not like eBay cannot tell when shipping and handling exceeds costs since their shipping programs and PayPals shipping program can report what was spent on actual postage. They'd rather rake in the profits from yet another absolutely stupid rule!

While a $60 shipping and handling fee irritates you folks, the final value fee on shipping and handling irritates me since, in most cases, it's not evenclose to a break even scenario.

15. 19Lyds

Unless you can point out where this is outlines on eBays policy, I'll have to disagree.

Generally speaking, if I charge between $2.00 and $3.00 for s&h, ebay bills me between .15 and .18 cents "regardless" of what my item sells for.
    If I have slow sales, I can get popped for .30 FVF for a $2.50 S&H regardless of what the item sells for.

My Bad. Final Value Fee for "Shipping" is not charged on the entire amount.
    Final Value fee's for the listing are charged based upon what the listing sells for.

PAYPAL, on the other hand, charges .30 per transaction plus 2.9% of the "entire" amount received which includes shipping and handling and any Sales Taxes collected.

16. 19Lyds

International shipping fee's can get quite expensive.

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I understand that, but how much for one coin?

18. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Well he obviously doesn't do much in sales he's only got a 12 next to his little gold star

Kentucky likes this.
  19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Really? A small uninsured parcel shipped via Correos "world economy" from Spain to the US is about 20EUR (23USD). Insurance, tracking etc. not included. Fedex, as mentioned in the listing's shipping section, is more expensive.

A feedback of 12 also indicates that he's possibly an inexperienced seller... but I stop now as the jury already found him "guilty".

I would simply ask him if he'd ship via Correos economy if I were interested in buying this coin.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Kentucky likes this.
  20. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Right, I've done a little selling on ebay

21. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Inflated shipping charges are a way some sellers use to make more money. I just bought a $100. coin weighting 14 grams and the seller wanted $8. to mail it from the mid-west to me in Calif.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted