E-bay Reduction From $945 to $395...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, May 27, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Trying to identify some ancients, I first use Google with what I know about the coin and then look at the images and the resources they lead me to. Clicking on one image took me to an e-bay listing for $945!
    s-l1600 (5).jpg

Since I had looked at it, I then got an e-mail telling me how I could get it for only $395 if I acted fast...if anyone wants it, I won't stand in your way :):)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I get emails from ebay almost every time I look at a coin, essentially begging me to buy it. Annoying.

4. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Oooh, you better act fast before someone beats you to that deal!

If you move the decimal up to places to $3.95... that’s still probably a no for me.

on a more serious note... I have thought about selling coins. Prices even for common stuff in average condition is crazy. I’d be able to buy a yacht with constantinian bronzes!

ominus1, +VGO.DVCKS and Kentucky like this.
  5. Kentucky

One of the REAL problems with e-bay is that you find the same coin for very different prices. Need to control impulse buying, I've ended up with some $5 coins I paid $20 for...

CoinJockey73, +VGO.DVCKS and Hookman like this.
  6. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I did too until recently. I went into settings on their website and I chose not to get emails like that. Something else you could do is unsubscribe or put them in your promotions folder.

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and Kentucky like this.
  7. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Yes, you can turn off all those annoying emails in your eBay notification settings.

On a related note, eBay has a relatively new function that allows sellers to send specific discount offers to users who have added a fixed-price item to their "watch" list. One of eBay's better initiatives, imho. If there is an item that you might actually be interested in at the right price and there is no "make an offer" option, it doesn't hurt to click the watch button.

+VGO.DVCKS, Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The thing is, they're all wasting their time on me. I do look at ebay sometimes, but I've never bought an ancient coin there, and haven't bought any kind of coin or medal there for years. I will definitely turn off the email notifications. Thanks.

9. Kentucky

You mean you aren't tempted by what I posted??!! :)

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  10. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

There is one sort of sellers who offer common coins in low grade at outrageous prices. I guess they are looking for inexperienced collectors with some money to spend.

Then there is another sort of sellers who offer very attractive coins (in terms of grade and style) at outrageous prices. It is sometimes hard to withstand the temptation, even if I know that a particular coin would not fetch a quarter of the asking price in a proper auction. I guess these sellers are looking for experienced collectors with insufficient self-control.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  11. Kentucky

I guess these sellers are looking for experienced collectors with insufficient self-control.

[​IMG]

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

What a bargain. Come to think of it, even vcoins and ma-shops are selling Constantinian stuff for $100-120 frequently (though admittedly they are usually in primo condition).

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Yeah, mine aren't FDC, but better than lots of others I have.

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..haha...man, ain't that the truth~!:rolleyes:

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted