Dupondius of Septimius Severus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Blake Davis, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

I recall reading somewhere, perhaps on Moneta, a discussion on the rarity of dupondii of Septimius Severus. I do not think there was much of a discussion as to the reasons for it - the dupondius became increasingly less common after the reign of Antoninus Pius ca. 138 to 161 AD. In fact, dupondii of the children of Septimius Severus are pretty darn rare as well - and much less common than the As.

My theory is that the dupondius was not produced in large numbers for a variety of reasons, including that the Roman Administration was simply far more interested in precious metal coinage, since that was how the legions got paid. Also as the antoniniani became more debased there might have been a concern about confusing the two. Or it may be that the coin was
    99999jjjhhh).jpg no longer filling an important need

But, in my humble opinion dupondii are extremely beautiful coins - the way the celators were able to portray the portrait underneath the crown illustrates the skill of the die makers. The dupondii of Vespasian and Titus are extremely beautiful although I do not have any examples. I do have a beautiful dupondius of Gordian III (and how often do you see these?) which I will be posting.

Although this example - RIC 804 or thereabout - is a bit worn, I really like the portrait. I have thought about attempting to clean it a bit better but decided that such an effort would more likely result in damage to the coin!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

ni
    Nice portrait!

4. alde

alde Always Learning

That's a beautiful coin just the way it is. I wouldn't attempt any cleaning on it at all.

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

idk about minting high grade silvers at this time, but that's nice coin.

7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I don't really focus on Rome and have only owned one Dupondius of Caracalla which I unfortunately parted with a few years back.

Caracalla, Dupondius

Obv:– ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Radiate head right
    Rev:– PROVIDENTIAE DEORVM / S - C, Providentia standing left holding staff and wand over globe
    Minted in Rome.
    Reference:– Cohen 534. BMC 254. Hill 1347. RIC 514

[​IMG]

8. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

9. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great OP SS dupondius!!

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Excellent coin!
    I was never sure which of the first two to keep so I kept both.
    rj4850bb0052.jpg rj4860bb1773.jpg rj4920bb0302.jpg rj4960bb0981.jpg

Caracalla
    rm6830bb0128.jpg
    I have no Geta.

Draft saved Draft deleted