Duplicates

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by John Skelton, May 25, 2019.

1. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Of the coins that I have, I have some duplicate years. For example, I have 11 1964D roosies and I don't see the need to have more than one. I haven't checked them yet to pull out the best one, but once I do, my intent would be to sell the rest. Can you give me a reason to keep the coins, or is selling them to raise money to buy what I really want a more prudent path?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Silver dimes are only about a buck a piece right now. You have something worth ~$10 you would rather have? If not, keep them. If you do, sell them.

Seattlite86 and green18 like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Every so often, some fool (me) adds a coin to his collection that he already has ( because he failed to check his 'want' list). Such 'duplicates' are sold........

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you no longer enjoy them or want them then the best path is to sell it for something you will enjoy

JCro57 and green18 like this.
  6. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I have second sets of collections that I relegate the replaced coins to. The second sets and loose duplicates are great for trades with other collectors or gifts, especially to kids interested in coin collecting.

LA_Geezer, green18 and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm wondering if Sy @Skyman will ever get around to filling a Washington "Z Toner" set.

Chris:)

Skyman likes this.
  8. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I keep duplicates to make additional albums for my kids and grandkids. When it comes to silver coins, I keep them all. They're kind of like the stocks I have bought throughout my life. I am fairly good at acquiring them, not so good at selling them. :wideyed:

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I usually sell my duplicates, but there are a few I have kept. I have three Delaware commemorative half dollars because that was state where I born and raised, and I can’t decide which piece I like best. They all their points.

When I got a Proof 1913 Buffalo Nickel, I kept the MS-63 I had because it is better than that, I could not get much money if I tried to sell it. I have two 1908 and 1925-D quarter eagles. Two coins are certified and very attractive. Two others are in a Capital Plastics set I have.

Seattlite86 and Chris B like this.
  10. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I take the following (different) approach regarding numismatic spending: why have one when you can have two for twice the price? If I really like duplicate coins, I feel compelled to keep both of them. Sometimes I find it easier to convince myself to do this if the duplicates have something slightly different about them (i.e.- different toning, different die marriage, etc.).

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Out of curiosity, where do you sell them?

12. johnmilton

I mostly sold them when I was a dealer at the shows and to want list customers. Today I don’t do that much upgrading.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Since you already own them I'd keep them, not as part of my coin collection but as an investment. It cost nothing to hold onto them.

Seattlite86 and LA_Geezer like this.
  14. johnmilton

Oh, it costs something. I have money tied up in coins that don’t interest me any more that could be used elsewhere. That’s why I sold them. Also when I was a dealer, it was easier to sell them for a good price than is now since I have become “a civilian.”

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. AcesKings

AcesKings Well-Known Member

When I buy duplicates I usually look for die differences. (Overtons, VAMs, etc.) Since you have Roosies, you could look for clashes, die cracks, etc.

16. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I hold on to duplicates because I find selling things on ebay is too much of a hassle. I'd rather put them up for trade here at CT.

Incidentally, I found my second '64-P dime last Thursday in the very same CoinStar machine where I found my first one. Haven't found a '64-D yet, though.

Lawtoad and Collecting Nut like this.
  17. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Ironically the Coinstar machine where I used to live the only silver I found was only a few 64-D dimes and a quarter over the space of a year.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  18. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I would hold on to the silver coins. silver is low right now and is likely due to rise.

Bayern likes this.
  19. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

I agree. Good time to buy more, and hold onto it, too. You really can't go wrong, as even if it does go down a bit more, it always eventually increases, as we all know :cat:

20. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

The thing is, these coins I have extra of didn't cost me anything, they were inherited or collected so long ago out of pocket change. I mean, I have over 25 Roosies dated 1967, 7 1963 nickels, 6 1962 quarters to name a few, plus other coins in various numbers from 2-4 duplicates. I suppose I could offer some up at coin club auctions, but my intent is to raise money for future purchases, since I am on a fixed income. And these coins were inherited by my son; I'm just the custodian.

21. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Hold on to them

Draft saved Draft deleted