Dumb educational question... What's a Plugged Die?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NorthKorea, Sep 30, 2016.

1. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I mean, how is a plugged die necessarily different than a grease filled die? Is it intentionally plugged to support surrounding cracks or something to that effect?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

It sounds like a slip die used mostly for tokens. The center portion, which has the denomination, "slips" out and a new center with a different denomination "slips" in.

4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I don't know about a plugged die, but a plugged coin is where a hole drilled into the coin has been filled.

5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

DSC_0862.JPG
    I'm now confused even further. I know for a fact that what you're calling a slip die isn't the same as what was called a plugged die, but I don't know what a slip die is, either now. I've attached the picture of the stupid coin in question that was called a "plugged die" coin.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I think someone invented their own term for a grease fill on the two letters. Otherwise it's the first time I've ever heard the term "plugged" used in conjunction with a die.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Like Dave said, someone came up with their own term because they couldn't remember the correct term. It happens all the time.

For example, we've always heard the term machine doubling or mechanical doubling to indicate "flat and shelf-like". Not long ago, someone used the term "shelf doubling". Go figure!

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted