Dug up a Seated Liberty half dollar in my garden

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Moonshine, May 24, 2012.

1. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I had to increase the size of my garden a bit this year and while digging holes for my tomatoes I looked over and saw a round metal object on top of the dirtpile. I figured it was a metal slug or some other junk. I own a metal detector and have spent some time in my yard but it's chock full of nails, bolts and other junk. I pick up the object and wiped off some of the dirt and I couldn't believe my eyes. A 1876s Seated Liberty half!

It's too bad I clipped it with the shovel.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh man that's awesome! Put it back in the garden and maybe more will grow.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Is it genuine? Most 90% silver that I have dug comes out of the ground looking a lot better than that.

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

A lot of it has to do with the type of a soil from which a a coin is buried. Various factors such as pH level, moisture level, length of burial, etc. all play a part in how well a coin is preserved. For example, it is well-known that ancient Roman coins dug up in Syria are often of considerably better quality than Roman coins dug up in the UK. Reason being is the soil in Syria is much more dry and sandy than soil in the UK. Moonshine's coin was found in a garden, it is quite possible that fertilizer and waterings have all taken their toll on the quality of preservation on the coin that was found.

6. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Well said.

Great find.

7. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

Did I mention I'm going to start gardening this year! I'm also planting some tomatoes....like tonight.
    HOTN

8. clorox

clorox Member

Wow! Did you look around for anything else?

I wish I had a chance of finding something like that around here. But my neighborhood was all wilderness until the 50's, and nearly all of the houses were built in the 60's and 70's.

9. daship

daship Member

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Neato find.......:)

11. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

I turned over two sections of earth at my house over the weekend each 8' x 2.5' so I could lay down the new garden beds I built for my wife so she could plant a veggie garden. I did not come across a scrap of metal or anything in that earth or the two truckloads I filled the beds with. Moon your a lucky guy with that find, that is very cool man.
    HOTN

12. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Wow, what a great (and quite random) find. Congratulations! Might want to think about increasing that garden again ;). I have some tomato plants myself, too bad they are in pots :(.

13. MentalVirus

MentalVirus New Member

Increase the size of your garden to the size of your yard! You might find more but what's the wost thing that happens, you save money on gas from not mowing it? lol

Draft saved Draft deleted