Dublin Ireland Reputable Coin and Currency Dealers

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Sullykerry2, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

Hello members: I am planning a trip to Dublin Ireland and then to the west to visit the ancestral homeland. I checked the previous threads for any suggestions on Dublin and western Ireland based coin dealers. The posts are rather old going back to 2005. Are there any recommended dealers in and around Dublin, Cork or Galway?

I have collected Irish coins all the way back to Henry II (1169) and John Count of Mortain (1182). My collection has principally coins from the Irish Free State up to a few moderns from the mint.

Many thanks, Sully

Cheech9712, john-charles and Andy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I've been collecting Irish coins as well...I wish I could help you with your search for a dealer there but I don't know any. I've bought all of mine from 2 sellers on eBay who are actually located in Ireland. One thing I've found out though is that it's cheaper to buy from them than to purchase the same coin from an ebayer in the US. Maybe once you're there you can do a Google search of "coin dealers near me". I'm sorry ...that's all I can offer. Enjoy your trip!!

Cheech9712 and john-charles like this.
  4. Sullykerry2

Indianhead65: Thank you. There was a thread a few years back asking the same question. I followed up but with no reply.

I know in April that the Numismatic Society of Ireland holds the Irish International Coin Fair at the Royal Dublin Society (RDS) on Anglesea Road in SE Dublin.

Del Parker is a well known numismatic dealer of Irish coins and notes often attends.

If I can help you in your search just send me a PM. Sully

5. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

Thank you Sully....if I ever run into any that I'm having difficulties finding I'll let you know.

6. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

I was looking for Irish coin dealers in Dublin several years ago. There are not many. I went to LIR coins in St. George's Arcade in downtown Dublin. They have a few things but I don't remember any stock older than 100 years. Cash only. Worth a visit.

KSorbo and john-charles like this.
  7. Sullykerry2

Thank you Hamilcar Barca. I will look into LIR Coins. This process is harder than finding a good quality 1937 Irish Free State Shilling!

8. Hamilcar Barca

Have a Guinness there. It's good for you!

CoinCorgi likes this.
  9. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

Or even better have a Jameson

10. Hamilcar Barca

Except for the free samples, the tour of Guinness was ho hum. The tour of the Jameson distillery is excellent but no free samples.

offa the saxon likes this.
  11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I've no info on Irish coin dealers.

But I like Guinness.
    And as for distilleries, look in on Bushmills.

Oh, and as to my Irish heritage I know very little.
    Apparently they were in County Kerry and the family name was probably Cluvane.

offa the saxon likes this.
  12. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

Bush mills is the oldest distillery in the world and is located in Northern Ireland and yes it is beautiful,my grandmother came from county Wexford

13. Sullykerry2

Thank you for your replies. For those of you in the United States and Canada: Happy Father's Day

14. Mithril

Mithril Member

I was at the Dublin coin show in April. To be honest it wasn't that great, though I did pick up some Gupta Empire drachms for next to nothing. I don't think the dealer knew what they were.

Everyone was friendly as usual, but there weren't that many English dealers over who tend to bring better material that I'm interested in.

15. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I’ve also been to the one in the arcade and it didn’t have the selection I was hoping for and it seemed pricey. But was fun to add that to my time in Dublin along with the Guinness factory, Temple Bar, etc.

16. Hamilcar Barca

I did say "a few".....

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted