Dublin Ireland Coin Dealers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merlin1066, Mar 19, 2009.

1. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Kind of an odd question. I know there are a few international members here on CT. Does anyone know of any dealers in or around Dubiln? Just found out I'm going there for ten days in May. I'd really like to pick up a few of their coins while I'm over there. They have some beautiful celtic knotwork on a few of them.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Hope its not too late. I heard there is good one on Cathedral St.. Don't forget to stop by Dawson St., to see teh Whiskey Shop.;)

4. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

There are some 17th & 18th century Irish coins that would be awesome to get. :D I love the 17th century Irish trade tokens but they are extremely hard to find and usually expensive when you dew. :goofer:

Ribbit :)

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Experience, albeit limited, has shown me that coin (or stamp) shops in non-US countries are few and far between.
    And small.
    I suspect most dealers in non-US countries work by mail out of their home.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

How many "non-US countries", as you put it, would that refer to?

Christian

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Some places I couldn't find any listed, others the one or two places listed weren't close by.
    Places I've been and looked:
    - Australia-None
    - New Zealand (Auckland)-Found one and bought some Mint sets
    - Japan-Language problem
    - Panama-None
    - England (London)-None, but found a nice little postal museum
    - Other Europe (Switzerland/Austria)-None, but bought some Euro starter packs in Vienna at a bank

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Have not traveled that far yet, but from my experiences in Western Europe and North America, there are enormous differences even in those areas. (That is also why I cannot contribute to the actual question regarding Dublin, sorry.) In the city where I live (in the German state of North Rhine Westphalia) there are a few "walk-in" coin stores; this is a city with a population of roughly 600,000. A few kilometers further south, another place (pop. 1 million) some more coin dealers with stores that do not require appointments.

And in Amsterdam or Madrid, for example, there are several similar places too. Sure, for security reasons, and due to chaning "purchasing habits", there are fewer stores now and more "appointment only" or "mail only" places. And in smaller towns it will be tough to find a dealer. But that does not apply to "non-US countries" only. ;)

Christian

9. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Thanks for the info everybody! We are leaving on thurs 14th. I'll let you know how I make out when we get back

10. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

Eh? London has a shedload of coin dealers, you just weren't looking hard enough. The one I most frequent when I'm in London, Coincraft, is right opposite the British Museum in Great Russell Street (The BM is well worth a visit in its own right for its Coin and Medal Department). Then there's Knightsbridge Coins, Colin Narbeth & Sons Ltd, Spink (!!!!) and Son Ltd and many more.

Even the seaside resort town of Blackpool, near were I live has at least two dealers that I know of (Peter Ireland and Chards)...

Draft saved Draft deleted