Dubious ebay practices

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Jan 24, 2020.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

This is not the first time that this has happened to me but it annoys me every time.

An ebay seller, who sells a mix of modern, medieval and ancients, adds a handful of ancients in Auction format (rather than BiN) starting at Eur 1. These are Private Auctions so the bidder identities are entirely hidden. Bidding is fairly active and the coins end at wholesale (or even below) rather than retail prices. Three days later the seller relists the items for sale in BiN format.

I was the under-bidder on four of the five coins listed and can only assume that the seller was using a separate account to bid on their own coins to prevent them selling too cheaply but avoiding any costs incurred from including a reserve price in their original listing.

Ho hum. I went and bought myself a large mixed lot of coins instead to keep me busy.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Unscrupulous! Dubious indeed!

philologus_1 likes this.
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

It happened to me the same thing a long time ago. When I saw the coins relisted, I contacted the seller to tell him I knew what was going on and warned him ebay will be notice and surely his account would be closed...he answered me back rapidly to tell me it was a mistake...the highest bidder had cancelled his offer...and I was the lucky winner...
    Got this lot for almost nothing finally. Threatening is not a nice thing to do, but it works sometimes :mad:

6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Report them to eBay.

(Not that eBay will *do* anything about it, but hey, you never know...)

7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

I had some fun reporting last night on Ebay. A seller listing a lot of 'unreasearched coins' with low start prices, all of them blatant fakes, featuring such things as Caesar portrait denarii... Now to see if any of them get taken down.

philologus_1 likes this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Not nice, but makes you feel a bit better, in a way :D

Q

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have already reported them to ebay but I have moved on as my replacement purchases have arrived.

Sulla80 likes this.
  10. Greg Bayes

Greg Bayes Where's the loo?

eBay is rife with charlatans. Do your research. Referring to a lot as "unresearched" is a dead giveaway for obvious reasons.

coinsareus10 and galba68 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted