Dryer coins (this is not what you think)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by William F, May 20, 2021.

1. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Yesterday our dryer stopped working, so we called the repairman and asked how soon he could come out and he was here within a few hours to take a look at it (turns out the belt had worn completely through) but anyway, he had to take the dryer almost entirely apart in order to change the belt, and while he had it all apart he took it upon himself to dump the compartment under the lint trap which has not seen the light of day anytime in the last 5 years.
    He dumped it all on the ground and left after fixing the dryer and putting it all back together, this is what was in there :)
    4 quarters
    1 nickel
    4 dimes
    1 elongated cent from the 'Chicago museum of Science & Industry'
    10 US pennies (including the elongated cent)
    1 Canadian penny
    1 sterling silver heart pendant engraved with "ACHIEVE"
    1 sterling silver commercial airliner pendant
    A fan pull-chain and various other things, batteries, zipper pulls, pins, etc.
    Not a bad haul!! ;) Treasure comes from the strangest places lol... 20210520_124013.jpg
    20210520_124724.jpg 20210520_124731.jpg 20210520_124735.jpg 20210520_124739.jpg 20210520_124805.jpg 20210520_124940.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Cool!!!lol.

MIGuy and William F like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

No wonder the belt broke, carrying that lot round and round. Looks like one of @paddyman98 hauls

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I started washing my own clothes in 1957 when I was 10. Don't you people ever check your pockets before throwing your clothes in the wash?:rolleyes::eek:o_O

6. William F

Now why would I do that?? ;) My mom used to jokingly accuse me of laundering money when she would find all the contents of my pockets in the wash :p

PamR likes this.
  7. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Wow!! That is cool. Did you think you had lost or misplaced these? Before one disposes an old dryer, might want to take apart lol. A great find for sure!

William F likes this.
  8. Dima

Dima Member

Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry is an exceptionally cool place! Wife and I have been members there for years and try to visit at least once a year for the rotating exhibits.

The elongated cent looks like it's from the train room - my absolute favorite part of MSI; it's a huuuuuge HO-scale train layout --

https://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/great-train-story/

The museum also hosts a real WWII captured German submarine you can explore (my 2nd favorite part of MSI :))

Lastly, cool fact: (if I recall correctly) one of MSI's buildings actually dates back to the 1892-93 Chicago's World's Fair; remember, the one where the Columbian half dollar and Isabella quarter came from?

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Columbian_Exposition has section on surviving structures.

Edit 2: MSI's wiki has some great history/photos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Science_and_Industry_(Chicago)

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    MIGuy, William F and cpm9ball like this.
  9. William F

Actually we just recently moved into this house and the appliances were already there, so I had no idea these items existed! lol
    I might contact the former owners and see if they want the sterling silver pendants back but I'm keepin' the rest!! ;)

PamR likes this.
  10. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Was the Weir farm a W? Lol

William F likes this.
  11. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

That is an extra good find. That’s nice of you to offer the silver. Right thing to day then hey, no telling what treasure you will receive in the future.

William F likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Those rocks in the first photo must have made a heck of lot of noise when running!! :) Jim

William F likes this.
  13. William F

LOL, that's where the repairman dumped everything out, on the driveway! The rocks weren't in there;)

14. William F

No it was a D, unfortunately...;)

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  15. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

That would have ticked me off. Broom swept, every work space.

William F likes this.
  16. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

And I thought my wife gets mad when I leave a cigarette but in my pants! I'm sharing this with her I'm all good!

William F likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted