Drove to NGC today...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Endeavor, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I drove from Miami to Sarasota, FL today. I went to where NGC is located, although not to submit coins but magazines to their other department, known as CGC. I did their walk-through service. A few other folks were there submitting coins (by the boxes I might add). The facility is secure so I didn't get to take any photos while I was inside, but I did take a couple from along the way and at my arrival at the entrance...

Leaving my house just before sunrise...
    Sarasota 2015 (1).jpg

Interstate 75 as I was driving into Everglades...
    Sarasota 2015 (22).jpg

Somewhere in the middle of the Everglades...
    Sarasota 2015 (19).jpg

NGC facility from across the street...
    Sarasota 2015 (5).jpg

Arriving at Gate...
    Sarasota 2015 (18).jpg

Modern Coin Mart (MCM) has a facility down the street from NGC...
    Sarasota 2015 (4).jpg

dwhiz, phankins11, green18 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

Cool. I have been there once. :)

Endeavor likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You'd think Florida wouldn't be the best location for a grading company, what with the humidity and all. :)

Coinchemistry 2012 and Endeavor like this.
  5. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nice pics and info!

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I have often thought about this... What do you reckon is the least humid time of the year in Florida, and might it be best to submit coins then?

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

least humid?

never

swamp yankee and rickmp like this.
  8. Keyman64

I'm in FL. Least humid time is Dec-Feb I think but it really doesn't matter. We have these new things down here. They are are called Air Conditioners, or A/C for short. They act as really big dehumidifiers. Ziplok bags can also be useful. Desiccant is also useful.

But some people might view the heat and humidity as an asset when they store their coins in special envelopes wrapped in newspaper hanging in their garage. I've never done it, it is just something I have heard about.

9. Thanks for the photos. Easy to see why MCM always has so many NGC coins available. ;)

Tater likes this.
  10. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Thank you for the report on Florida's technological advancements - I had been worried! Although my real concern is transport to NGC, but I suppose the use of desiccants makes sense

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I live about 1-1/2 hours south of the NGC office, and before they changed their rule to "dealers-only" office visits, I would deliver and pick-up my submissions all the time. My Mom would accompany me on the trips because it was a good excuse for us to stop at St. Armand's Key for lunch on the way home.

Like @Keyman64 said, if you use your A/C regularly, you don't have to worry about your coins. After 37 years of living in Southwest Florida, I have never had a coin, raw or slabbed, affected by the climate.

Chris

swamp yankee and coinzip like this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Most folks complain that the AC runs too much but that's what you want if you wish to control the humidity. It pays to put in a new system every 12 to 15 years.
    I get a kick out of people that put in a system that's too large for the size of the property. Bigger is not better. It needs to be matched to the size and heat loss of the property.
    I also get a kick out of folks that turn the AC off when they leave the house. They think they are saving money but actually spend more and let the humidity rise to the point that it's not healthy for coins.

13. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

I am in Port Saint Lucie and it is BRUTALLLLLLLLL Right now. Funny how you hear people say, but it is only 90 degrees, correct ? True, but it is like walking into a Sauna day in and day out. I treat it like i did winter up north. Stay out of it. Our biggest mistake was buying 10 miles inland. need to be within 2 miles of the coast on this side of the state.
    If anyone gets a chance, please take a look at my ONLY other post. Our group is interested in buying Gold coins and need some basic information.

14. Brian Calvert

You could never say that about a tool box in your garage. Up north the summer and humidity don't affect steel, here, you can't get away from it unless indoors. Cars do much better here and thank god, no pot holes !

15. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

This is all quite interesting. I had no idea they are in Sarasota. I'm going to be at Anna Maria Island in Sept. Is it possible to take coins to them to be graded while I'm there and then pick them up later ?

16. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Keep your new invention....I'll stay in Texas. Gold and Guns right?

17. Keyman64

Call them but I don't think so. Maybe they would let you either drop them off or pick them up ...who knows?

18. Brian Calvert

Ah... The newbie cold shoulder...... Gotta love these closed off personal sites. Well, hi everyone, nice to meet ya... Hope i can learn a lot here...

19. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I'm nowhere near dealer status (just a collector that also sells some on the side), but you can submit and pick up coins to get graded with a Collector's Society membership. You can submit and pick up in person (aka WalkThrough service). Here is a link to their website with the different turnaround times and fees: NGC Services

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When NGC was processing the SS Republic gold, they experienced security problems while permitting anyone to enter the premises. Maybe they changed their rules since then, but there was a period of several years where only dealers were allowed access to their facility.

Chris

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You'll likely have better luck if you start a new thread with your question, rather than posting it to an unrelated discussion. There are lots of people here talking about the UHR release that you were asking about, but not in a thread about NGC's headquarters or a thread about mintmark removal.

Welcome aboard!

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted