Draped bust half dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 0000, Feb 11, 2015.

1. 0000

0000 Member

I just got a draped bust half and its weight is 12.64 grams. What do you make of the weight in terms of the coin being real or fake? thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Please post clear pics front & back and side if possible. Weight can vary according to wear.

4. 0000

0000 Member

1806 draped bust half dollar1 110.JPG 1806 draped bust half dollar 110.JPG

NOS likes this.
  5. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

What year is it?

6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

The weight should be 13.48. I don't know if it would lose that much through wear or not.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Pointed top 6, stem through claw, and looks original goes for about $130.00 in A.G. I'm not sure about the weight but the heavy wear will contribute to less weight. But the damage is going to take away value from this. There are many varieties for this year, so I would check this one out more as something other than damage is going on with the date.

8. 0000

0000 Member

1806 draped bust half dollar 110.JPG 1806 draped bust half dollar1 110.JPG I just got a draped bust half and its weight is 12.64 grams. What do you make of the weight in terms of the coin being real or fake? thanks

jello and Paddy54 like this.
  9. 0000

0000 Member

i have reposted the thread in us coins to get more opinions thanks

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Looks real.

jello likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I trust Tom's judgment.

Chris

jello likes this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Me too........

jello likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

It's an 1806/6 0 over Horizontal 0 in date ,5 berries, large stars,
    Stem not though claw pointed 6 ov. 109 To bad it's not the knob 6 that puppy in Ag. Is a $20,000 coin.
    This is the real deal the coin is worn so adjust for difference in weight. I can see .84 gram missing from wear.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    micbraun, jello and furham like this.
  14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Genuine.

jello likes this.
  15. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

The coin looks right to me, I seriously doubt it is fake. The coin is a bit light, but maybe a combination of wear and the scale being a bit off.

Mike

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks like O-109a. Book says R4, so sort of scarce variety for the date, but that scratch down the front really smarts.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I have a DB '06 half, which I bought as an AU (ca. 1982 - 84) for $850. I've been told that the coin was probably dipped long ago but such was the case for many early US coins. A Coin World article from the 80's said that this was common and not too much of a problem as long as the coin is attractive.

Recently I've been told by people looking at the pictures that the coin probably won't slab due to the old cleaning and as such it's pretty worthless. I wonder about the big change in grading standards and what happened to all those old Bust coins that were attractive with an old dipping. Note that this coin has NO hairlines nor scratches. The only problem it has is the color. I guess it's still worth just $850?

I did show it to one dealer at a coin show about 5 yrs ago and he simply said it was a very nice & impressive coin. He did'nt see any problems but then he wasn't one of these high end guys like Heritage Inc.

[​IMG]

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Paddy - The original one posted is an O-109a. About the only one I know by heart - mainly the crack on star 12. Then no-stem on the reverse.

The last coin posted I can not see good enough to try to attribute. It does look harshly cleaned - maybe enough toning would help it. Not sure.

micbraun and jello like this.
  19. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Nice coin except for the brightness. I actually see nothing from the pics that would preclude slabbing. By the way, dipping is not cleaning. Unless repeatedly done to the point that it destroys the coin's luster it will not keep a coin from slabbing at any of the major TPGs.

As for only being worth about 850.00? You get that puppy in a PCGS XF slab and it'll go for between 2000 and 2500 bucks...were it to slide into an AU slab you can easily double that range.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice !!!!! and Real!!!:)

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And I merged them together. Please only post 1 thread on any given subject.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted