Doubts on Lucilla denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I have recently bought a coin collection from someone which, amongst various very nice coins, included this denarius of Lucilla. I have some doubts on the authenticity, but on the other hands, I have no 'hard signs'.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-TMRUO9w4NgaLZ3ZI (2).jpg
    Lucilla
    Denarius
    Obv: LVCILLA AVGVSTA: Bust of Lucilla, bare-headed, hair waved and fastened in a bun on back of head, draped, right
    Rev: VENVS VICTRIX: Venus, draped with right breast bare, standing left, holding Victory in extended right hand and resting left hand on shield set on ground
    Details: Ø: 1.6cm, Weight: 3.19g

First, the pitted appearance, which may be indicative of casting. There is however no cast seam on the sides (not pictured). The cracks in the observe do not reach the reverse (but they do not appear 'filled' under magnification). Pitting may also occur in coins with less silver purity.
    Second, the bold and somewhat sluggish lettering. This is however appearently not uncommong for coins by Lucilla.
    Third, some tooling on the reverse (left to Venus' legs).

I could not find this coin on the FORVM fakes selection.
    Any help would be appreciated (this coin bothers me ...:p)

Marsyas Mike and PlanoSteve like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Yeah that looks pretty bad. I'm concerned that one of the flan cracks on the edge does not go off the edge of the flan, but rather disappears at the rim (a sign of a cast). That combined with soapy legends is enough for me to run away.

Also, I'm not sure the surface hasn't been tampered with. I see a small area of the reverse field polished to death...perhaps to hide an obvious sign of casting? The obverse Bust looks like it's been partially tooled at the hair at the very least.

Not to mention the corrosion pattern looks odd to me too.

Not even a certificate from David Sears would make me want this coin. I'd always be bothered by the way it looks.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

It certainly looks cast.

TIF and Sallent like this.
  5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

If there was a photo under the definition of "cast coin" in a numismatics dictionary, OP coin would be the coin in the photo. :jawdrop:

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have most of her reverse types but 1, so I have gone through many Lucilla Denarii. I can say that is for sure a fake.

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of examples from my collection which are not cast. They aren't exactly FDC.

Lucilla VENVS VICTRIX denarius.jpg Lucilla VENVS VICTRIX denarius 2.jpg

8. Roerbakmix

Thanks! I will now remove my one and only Lucilla denarius from my collection ... time to find a new one!

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

The OP token is a textbook example of a cast. Soft details, casting bubbles, and likely a seam on the edge.

I'm surprised 'WRL' isn't stamped on it!

10. JSermarini

JSermarini Active Member

Theodosius likes this.
  11. Roerbakmix

Yes, will do. This coin is the most bothersome in my collection, so I'm actually quite happy with the negative verdict (time to find a new one :brb:)

12. JSermarini

JSermarini Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted