Doubly interesting eBay listing - rare Sacagawea, odd omission

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, May 28, 2016.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This listing just appeared:

Very Rare Non-Burnished 2000-D Millenium Set Sacagawea Dollar with Bonuses

Two things caught my interest. First, I hadn't heard about this variety. If it hasn't traded at auction before, is that because it's so very rare, or because nobody cares about it?

Second, I looked very carefully at all the images. There are full frontal shots of both the other slabs, but both shots of the non-burnished Sac are cropped to exclude the grading company and the grade. Wonder what the seller is hiding? A low grade? A damage/details annotation?

This isn't the sort of thing I collect, but if I did, I'd be asking the seller some very direct questions.

Edit: Looks like the seller has quite a little cache of specialty Sacagawea items, and a reasonable track record of selling coins (although most of his recent listings were for other collectibles). Again, interesting.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It's IGC. Easily seen on the reverse image of the slab, just enlarge it.
    [​IMG]
    Not a very good job of hiding the info.

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You mean where the 2nd photo says "ICG Certified #06353"?

I think that's your problem right there. It may be a limited edition of 75K and only 10K or so in ICG plastic, but so what? There just aren't that many Sac collectors...

Rarity is both absolute and interest based. 75K out of 518M is relatively rare. But compared to a few thousand collectors, anyone who wants one can have it. No need to pay crazy premiums.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. -jeffB

It was pretty clear that it's an ICG slab, but leaving off the grade on those shots has to be intentional. As far as I can tell, there's no way to look up an ICG grade given the slab number.

As for the population, my understanding was that only 75K total Millennium sets were issued, and fewer than 20 of those 75K have turned up as non-burnished. Big deal? Maybe for Sac collectors. I don't know.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's on the home page, little box bottom right of the page. It's very finicky if it wants to work or not though. Chances of getting 1200 dollars for an ICG modern are pretty much nonexistent.

The other problem would be the 2000 Sacs have a few varieties already like the presentation pieces and the Cherrios which could be had for around the same price. Granted they aren't from millennial sets but I don't think there is a large market of people who have to have every single kind of Sac dollar.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. -jeffB

Okay, here's a company that really, really needs some consulting on Web design and search-engine optimization.

Also always a plus. The number shown on this coin, for example, doesn't show up.

joecoincollect likes this.
  8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

If it is non burnished, wouldn't it just be a regular strike? Not sure I understand, sorry.

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Where did you see the certification number? The cert # on an ICG slab is typically on the front above the bar code (which I don't see on this one). I think 06353 indicates it's coin 6353/75000.

micbraun likes this.
  10. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be out of 75k because I've owned the millennium sac in ngc holders.mi think I had a 67 before. Now I have a 66, got it for 30.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

12. Paul M.

Look again. The non-burnished holder has a grade of MS68 on it. I'm pretty sure I see the bottoms of MS and maybe 67 on one of the eBay pics.

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I did. It looks like it says MS64.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. -jeffB

The seller has several similar coins listed. At least one is SP68, and another "lightly burnished" one is in a slab with no grade.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Paul M.

Here's a thought: has anybody thought of messaging the seller? I don't think they're trying to pull anything here, just that they're overestimating the demand for this coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted