Doubloon, real or reproduction?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by karebar, Feb 10, 2018.

1. karebar

karebar New Member

Hi there Coin Collectors,

I am not a coin collector but find your forums fascinating. Thank you for letting me intrude. :)

I found this coin in a plastic protector, in a safe, with my dad's things. He has Alzheimer's and can't tell me where it came from. It weighs 27 grams and at first I excitedly imagined that it was solid gold, but as you can see in the photos, there's a small rub on the edge of the coin with silver color showing through.

Can someone please tell me what it is? I'm thinking it's probably a reproduction?

Thank you very much.

-Karen IMG_2747.jpg IMG_2748.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I know nothing about these coins, so wait for someone with more expertise to weigh in, but judging by a quick look on acsearch the weight is right in line with what it would be on a real coin.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...s=1&currency=eur&thesaurus=1&order=0&company=

It's difficult to tell from your photos, but I think the silver that you say is "showing through" could actually be the remains of a jewelry mount that's been removed.

Andres2 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat, nothing to me screams fake.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..looks "reale" to me.. by the by, most ancient collectors would consider these types to be modern world coins. anything after usually the 15th century, about the time of the fall of the Byzantine empire...:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  6. karebar

karebar New Member

Thank you all, and sorry for posting in the wrong place. Shows you how much I know. :)

ominus1 likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O not to worry, i'm sure they, like me, don't mind and most likely collect or want to collect those too ^^

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you have a dealer in your area, let them take a look at it.

9. karebar

karebar New Member

Thank you, you are kind. :)

ominus1 likes this.
  10. karebar

karebar New Member

I will. Thank you.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

This is not an area in which I have a lot of experience, but it looks like it has the potential of being authentic. You may want to contact Daniel Sedgwick. He is a dealer and expert in this type of material

12. karebar

karebar New Member

Thanks so much. I took it to a coin shop today and the coin is authentic. The bad news is that those silver marks on the edge of the coin are probably solder and greatly devalue the coin. I guess the bad news could have been worse. :)

The coin shop suggests that I send it off to NGC for official authentication, so I guess that's my next step. I'm not sure I want to sell it, but I would love to know more about it, like where it may have been recovered. Really fun. :)

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Send pics to Sedwick coins in Florida. Daniel Sedwick is a great expert on cobs, and a very honest man. He can let you know if it is ok or not. I have even sent coins to him to examine and pay for shipping, and he is always willing to help. Good buyer and seller.

14. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

+1 on the idea of sending pcitures to Sedwick. Here is Daniel's website, http://www.sedwickcoins.com/ . Personally I think something is fishy about this coin. It's a 8 escudo Pillar and Waves design from the Lima Mint but its missing the date and assayer. The coins is off struck missing these critical parts of the coin and if the assayers mark was missing it would of been melted back down but its weight is correct. The silver part is also concerning because it almost looks like plating is chipping away from the coin and I'm seeing this happen on two places on the coin.

15. karebar

karebar New Member

I thought the same about the plating chip thing you mention. The local coin dealer (not an expert on this type of coin) thinks that's solder and that the piece was mounted as jewelry at some point. I am going to send off an email to Mr. Sedwick now. Thank you very much.

16. karebar

karebar New Member

Hey everyone... thanks for referring me to Dan Sedwick. My coin is authentic but the marks left from a former jewelry setting make it not worth as much as I'd hoped. It's fun to have it anyway, and now I want to find some more coins. Take care, all!

-Karen

roman99, Kentucky, TheRed and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted