Doubling on Reeded Edge??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by vintagemintage, Jul 10, 2017.

1. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

I posted this last week hoping to hear from some of you that may have some insight about this unusual edge. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/unusual-reeded-edge.299323/ Since then I've found another specimen so I'll try again, sorry if I'm being redundant. The subject coin is on the right in the 1st 2 photos, in comparison to another normal coin. Both finds are the correct diameter. IMG_20170710_084530316[2].jpg IMG_20170710_084553151[1].jpg
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

19Lyds and Tyler Graton like this.
  4. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

5. vintagemintage

I came across the same website while trying to research this and at first I thought it sounded close too. However, the reeds on that coin were the result of the working face of the collar being ground down. They are well defined individual reeds, just shorter with wider and flatter valleys. This coin has numerous lines or steps on the reeds and valleys

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I see nothing that would be of any interest to me since "reeding" errors/anomolies are simply not attended in the variety coin market.

7. vintagemintage

I'm not aware of any market for, or reference to attribute reeding errors either. In fact it's hard to find much mention of them at all, which is why I put it out here again after finding 2 similar coins. I don't think this is a 'strike-it-rich' coin but I'd love to learn what process was involved in this error, if I can call it that.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've often seen that on brand new collars.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Interesting point. This issue is out of scope for me, but I've noted similar - if less complex - detailing in the reeding of 1921 Morgans.

10. vintagemintage

Do you know how/why a new collar does this? The reeds also seem very shallow, and metal appears to have been pulled toward the reverse side leaving a saw-tooth like edge on parts of the reverse rim.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder how often they replace the collar, the coin isn't exactly an early die state.

Draft saved Draft deleted