Doubled headed nickel error Real or Fake

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tracey84, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Tracey84

Tracey84 New Member

I found a double heads nickel, It has two different dates and mints. 1 side has 1980-P, other side has 1989-D. Is that even possible, or is that a dead giveaway that it's fake ?
    I would love yall's opinion on this coin. I did put it in coin holder before taking pictures so hopefully the glare (if any) dosen't get in the way in the pictures...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Fake. You can see the seam on the 1989D side. Put it in a jar or something with a lid and shake it. Both pieces should separate.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I know of one attributed double headed nickel. Most likely mint employee assisted.

But examples such as yours is either a novelty item such a magicians coin.
    It is altered. Two different dates is a dead giveaway.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Hookman, I_like_Morgans and tommyc03 like this.
  5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

magicians coin, I found one a few years back

Hookman and tommyc03 like this.
  6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Dean 295 and I_like_Morgans like this.
  7. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Magicians coin, THere is more than one company that makes a number of different types and styles. the different dates have to do with the pater (story) that goes along with the trick.
    If you google them you will get any number of them. And you might be surprised at what they cost new.

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The guy who lost it had to pay for his drink that night...

JeffC likes this.
  9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

It looks something like this when you open it..

S20180110_009-ccfopt.jpg S20180110_010-ccfopt.jpg

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's not really possible, as you need 2 obverse dies.
    There is a 1 in a billion chance it could happen by accident, but it is involved.
    (Another coin is stuck in there, the coin that was struck obverse only was not ejected, flips around and is struck a second time on the reverse with the obverse die again while the second coin screens it. Not likely.)
    The 2 most likely scenarios are clandestine mint worker assisted as Paddy mentioned, or a fake coin that was intentionally designed and built to have 2 heads.

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

That was my guess. But wouldn't Monticello be somewhere

12. Cheech9712

I can see you with a mint job and really pulling out all the stops. Errors a plenty to break up the day. Maybe a kennedy cent

rte and Kentucky like this.
  13. Cheech9712

Love ya paddyman. And nice kit. Who ever tells you to get a life. Don't know ya

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Make that two planchets enter the press at the same time and are struck. The lower piece stays in the collar while the upper flips over and returns to the collar and the press strikes again. That could make a two sided coin, BUT. with two planchets in the collar the upper one probably will not fit down inside the collar completely so after the first strike it will have one face but also a partial collar strike. Then if that happens and the upper one flips over, with that partial collar it won't fit back down into the collar so the centering will most likely be messed up on the second strike and the edge will be mangled.

15. Cheech9712

Brilliant simply Brilliant

16. jmath20

jmath20 New Member

i was looking online and stumbled on this conversation, I recently inherited my grandparents estate and found a coin and bill collation. stuff I have no idea about, i found a 1979 double headed nickel, I don't know if its real, I've checked I don't see a seem. idk

17. jmath20

jmath20 New Member

I stumbled upon a coin and bill collection my grandparents had, which i recently inherited i found a double headed 1979 nickel. cant see a seem but i also have no experience with coins or collecting them. real or fake? has this happened in that mint year?

18. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Post up a picture of both sides, but again no 2 headed nickels were produced at the mint.

19. jmath20

jmath20 New Member

i will right now
    thanks

20. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

just as a follow on, I am 99% sure I have read here at ct that the obverse die will only fit in its place and the same for the reverse. Definitely would take some help from an employee to get the same side in both spots in the press.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  21. jmath20

jmath20 New Member

I Appreciate the information, now just need to figure out how to upload pictures.

cwart likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted