Doubled die roll ender.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coinman1234, Apr 26, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

It got a roll of homestead quarters recently saw the there was a DDR on the end of the roll.

What do you think?? Any premium over face??
    IMG_20150426_090652.jpg

dwhiz and KurtS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

where are you looking ? :peeking:

4. coinman1234

Arrows pointing to doubling.
    ddr1235.jpg

5. Bryant M

Bryant M Active Member

I believe he is looking at the window. Good eye

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That seems like a strange way for hub doubling to occur in just part of that window section.

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

"Bump" doubling similar to the 2009 Formative Years Lincolns and is a direct result of the new "single squeeze" technology.

Premium? Maybe a bit at first but then it would taper off significantly after a few million of them are found.

There is a new breed of variety collector that really gets turned on by this stuff and the attributers are making money reporting them but like any specialized field in numismatics, there are those the really like them and then there are those that don't. The key is in knowing who is and who isn't. That's you market.

Would I collect the above coin? Sure would! I don't think I would bother paying to have it attributed though and I don't think I'd go crazy over it.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. That's the first thing that I looked at also
    window.JPG

spirityoda likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

Thanks! Do you have a link to a site that explains exactly what "bump doubling" is and how it occurs?

Chris

10. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Wexler has a pretty good explanation of the single squeeze hubbing process and how the doubled dies are created. Look about a quarter of the way down.

http://doubleddie.com/58222.html

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

Thanks, but I was asking about "bump doubling", not single-squeeze hubbing. Wexler's explanation does not include "bump doubling".

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

He never said "Bump doubling" he said "Bump" as in "Bring Up My Post" Often used by an OP in forums to BUMP a topic back to the top. Im pretty sure theres no such thing as "bump doubling"

coinman1234 likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

That doesn't make sense. Why would I go back, look for a topic and "bump" it? It would make more sense for him to say "search".

In any event, I didn't find any explanation on Wexler's site that would validate the OP's coin as a legitimate form of doubling.

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  14. coinman1234

I think my thread was already one of the first topics on the list, considering he said the word "Bump" just a couple hours after I posted it, it was also posted on a slow forum which still has posts from Friday on the first page. I think he was actually talking about a kind of doubling, not bumping my thread a whole three threads up.

15. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

This could very well be true.

coinman1234 likes this.
  16. coinman1234

Here you go Chris. @cpm9ball

19Lyds talks about it in some other thread,

"Bump Doubling or "tilted hub doubling" where the working hub "bumps" or is not in perfect alignment with the working die during manufacture.

During 2009, there was obviously some problem with aligning the hub and blank die which created so many DDR Coins. John Wexler gives a good explanation at:

http://www.doubleddie.com/203990.html

Class VIII Doubling Descriptions can be found in most recent Variety Guides."

17. cpm9ball

@coinman1234
    Umm........coinman IS the OP.

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

Okay! It seems that the hub die and the working die are not tightly fixed in the chamber. Also, the working die blank has a conical shape, so that when pressure is exerted, the two can slip against one another creating Class VIII doubling in the central area of the die. However, nowhere is it referred to as "Bump Doubling" in Wexler's explanation. It does mention that the Mint employees would often hear a clunking sound when the hub die and the blank working die came into contact.

So, why in the heck don't they call it "Clunk Doubling"?

Note: Wexler goes on to say that this form of doubling is pretty common to the single-squeeze method of die making. If it is that common, why care about it?

Thanks!

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  19. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I think Lee is describing what most of the doubling looks like. It looks like a bump most of the time. Why care about it? Because I collect doubled dies and other die varieties. It is "common" because 99% of the time, this is the only doubling possible using the single squeeze die making process. Single squeeze was created to eliminate doubled dies. In theory, if you squeeze only once, hub doubling is impossible. In theory, that is.

cpm9ball likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That looks like an extra thumb. The window has an extra thumb.

coinman1234 and jay4202472000 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted