Doubled Die Mint Marks

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hommer, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I have read several threads lately, where several members have commented that since the mint mark isn't punched into the working dies anymore, there cannot be a doubled mint mark. Instead of calling them out on someone else's thread, I wanted to start this one.

In all actuality, there were no doubled die mint marks during the time that the mint mark was punched into the die after the hubbing process. There were what are referred to as RPMs though.

After the mint abandoned the practice of punching the individual marks into the working die and instead were a part of the devices on the master die, then there can be doubled dies or doubled mint marks, the same as all the other details or devices on the coin.

If you consider that doubled dies are mostly created when a working die is struck by a working hub, or, a working hub struck by a master die, and the master die has the mint mark on it, then yes you can have a legitimate doubled die mint mark.

I don't wish to start an argument, but a friendly discussion on the subject would be nice.

Cascade, UnCommonCents and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nothing to argue about. What you said sounds right.

Hommer likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like you explained it just fine ;)

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If they say there can't be doubled mintmarks they are wrong. If they say there can't be repunched mintmarks then they are right.

7. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Good Explanation Hommer. I believe a series of articles are in order to explain to the new members what is and isn't collectable.. such as strike doubling vs die doubling, die states, etc. I've seen quite a few people who do not know. Some just need a good article or two to set them in the right direction, others as we well know are unteachable!

Hommer and cfrenchfci like this.
  8. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

I would appreciate clarity on this---and please translate all the letters used to refer to the different effects to which they refer.

9. Hommer

This is a very good explanation of how coin dies are.made:
    http://doubleddie.com/58201.html

And this will explain the abbreviations used:
    http://doubleddie.com/58243.html

If you have any questions about either, feel free to ask. I'm still learning myself. I've got one question about the die making process that I have been researching and have yet to find the answer.

10. Hommer

11. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

nice reads on the three(s) ...

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What's the question?

13. Hommer

I got an answer but it was still a little vague.
    The question: When or at what stage of the die making process was the V.B.D. added to the die? Was it engraved on the galvano or added later after the master was engraved? The designer's initials are the only incuse detail on many coins and the angle at which most are placed made me curious. A few pictures of the reason I asked
    20151214_215641-1.jpg 20151214_214102-1.jpg 20151214_213930-1.jpg 20151214_213803-1.jpg 20151214_213714-1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would like to know why people ( even the experts who name them and sell them) feel that single squeeze doubling of design on a coin ( such as 2009 Lincolns) is the same as outcome as the double hubbing transfer such as the 1972 Lincoln. and is called a doubled die, when actually it is caused by movement due to pressure as the die is being squeezed and released, which to me is Mechanical doubling. Same as smearing design by movement of the die on the coin planchett. I realize it is a contrarian view.

15. Hommer

I believe the attraction to errors in or on coins is the human element. We can build the most accurate of machines but at some point someone has to ensure that accuracy is spot on. An error within tolerances of quality control is far less attractive than one that should have been caught. The more obvious the mistake, the more the reason it should have been caught, and the more desirable it.becomes. Kinda like the grammar police on here. What would be more exciting, catching a mispelled word or catching a mispelled word typed by the grammar police?

16. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

I'm in the position of asking these questions and presumed someone else with more information will answer your question about when the initials are added. However I took a whack at going to the internet and found a delightful video on coin minting. It showed that the initials are added when the final design is made before it is used to make a die. The video was made by the US Mint. Perhaps they did it differently when V.D.B. created an infamous 1909 Lincoln.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They are in the original model which was used to create the Galvano and then the master hub.

Hommer likes this.
  18. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Glad to see we are getting expert information here.

Draft saved Draft deleted