Double-Sided Counterstamped 2c

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Thought I'd share this and see if any of you counterstamp guys know this guy or business...

20160718_070458~2.jpg 20160718_070445~2.jpg

BRandM and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Cool counterstamp! I believe that @BRandM is knowledgable about these.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, you can tell that it was probably higher grade when stamped so it did it's duty! Hope it can be nailed down though. Didn't see it on that big list of popular known counterstamps from a Google search but maybe, hopefully, @BRandM will know something about it :)

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

There are a few "Mowry" counterstamps documented, Cascade, but not this one. I'll look around for you later, but have to go to work right now. First impression. Looks to be mid 1870s to 1880s.

Bruce

7. BRandM

I checked this as much as I could, Cascade, but had no luck. There could be another initial before "C" that we can't see, so makes it even harder to attribute.

There is a "D.Mowry" stamp known on an 1851 Large Cent, but there's no picture to compare to the style of yours. It could be a relative, but there's no way to tell. There was also a company called J.S & S.J Mowry Greenville, Ct. in business from about 1850 until 1869 that manufactured axles, springs and other parts for carriages. In 1869 they became Mowry Axle & Machine Co. I couldn't find a record of the partners in that company, so don't know if your stamp has anything to do with them. My estimate for issue date is still c1875 / 1885. I doubt it would be any later.

Sorry I couldn't find more for you.

Bruce

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Well thanks for the time Bruce. In your experience what's the estimated value $50 +/-?

9. BRandM

I'd guess $20, Cascade. Your best bet would be eBay.

Bruce

Cascade likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted