double reverse coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by james_beadles, May 1, 2011.

1. james_beadles

james_beadles New Member

I have what appears to be a 1944 silver ten centavos philippine commonwealth united states of america coin. That is what I would assume judging by the size, (17 mm) and the reverse is the same as that shown in my coin books. My problem is that when I flip it over to the obverse I have exactly the same thing, 'United States of America' '1944' and the bird, eagle? with spread wings atop the shield shown in my book to be on the commonwealth coins. Was there a commemorative with double reverse or something like that minted in the hectic days of recovering the philippines from Japan? I can't find anything like that in my books or on the internet. HELP.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Google "magician's coin" for a complete, detailed explanation of what you have.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Or search the threads here for "magician's coin". There are several threads that give a good explanation.

5. james_beadles

james_beadles New Member

the point then is that exact copies of existing coins were/are minted with paired reverse or obverse faces? this coin tests positive for silver content but that just requires a silver blank. any other possibilites?

6. james_beadles

james_beadles New Member

yep, coin has a definite fine black line around the rim, very well done but the silver has slightly tarnished where the two coins were joined. thanks for the info i'll be back

7. Snaps7676

Snaps7676 Coin Lover

If you read about magicians coins it will basically tell you the one coin is hollowed and another is stuck inside so it looks the same on both sides. Look around the rim with a loupe and check for any cut lines is my only advise.

8. Snaps7676

Snaps7676 Coin Lover

Lol I was seconds late with my post.

Draft saved Draft deleted