Double Printed Backs $5 and $20 Bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Joel Dowshen, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Joel Dowshen

Joel Dowshen New Member

Cmcart, spirityoda and SteveInTampa like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Those are really cool looking notes, I know nothing about them, as far as errors, Some members that study and collect these will be along soon, for more information.
    The Five looks like it has been folded, which will bring its value down some. I believe that PMG and Pcgs are the best at paper grading.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I believe that's called offset transfer. It's when the sheets are stacked before the ink is dry.
    Nice inheritance.
    They do have extra value, but you won't be able to retire on them.

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

That is not how an offset transfer takes place.

It occurs when a sheet is misfed or folded and the image on the plate transfers to the cloth bed the sheet sits on. The next sheets through pick up the image that was transferred to the bed on the bottom side as a reverse image.

6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Very nice inheritance. I've alway's loved these type of error notes.

7. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

A second printing (the front) without a sheet put a positive image of the front on the "backboard" that a sheet normally is on when it receives its second printing. Subsequent sheets picked up a reverse image of the front on the back, until the ink on the backboard was gone.
    Your five is a 100% offset transfer error of the second printing on the back. It's not the first one after the initiating error occurred, but it's pretty close. Your twenty is not quite 100%, and the error is not as dark. Both are quite desirable, but error collecting is rather an esoteric part of the hobby, so demand is limited.
    If they were mine, and a dealer offered me $400 for the pair, and I needed the money, I'd take it and not feel ripped off. Retail value of the five, which has a catchy nickname - the ghost of Lincoln over his tomb - probably is $400 or so. The twenty is probably worth about two-thirds as much.

MEC2 likes this.
  8. Joel Dowshen

Joel Dowshen New Member

Thanks very much for the info!

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Look like they are in excellent shape, may want to think about getting those
    Graded $5 looks 64-65 to me the $20 looks in the 63=64 range based on the
    Margins

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Not to nitpick, but that is the Lincoln Memorial. Lincoln's tomb is in Springfield, IL.

mackwork, gsalexan and Michael K like this.
  11. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

I just cited the nickname, I didn't compose it. Ghost of Lincoln over his memorial doesn't have the same pizazz.

Draft saved Draft deleted