double dies

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by AnewFoundhobby, Feb 26, 2015.

1. hello fellow collectors. i was wondering on a true double die would it be correct to say that the thickness "for instance" on the L of libertywould show extra thickness and would decrease in thickness with each letter towards the center of the coin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Check furryfrog's link, excellent reading material.

5. thanks guys that has helped me alot. if you dont mind give me some feedback on these coins. the first 1970s. It has extra collums and appears to be doubled above the collums on the right side of buildind. the second is 1969d. some sort of doubling to figure and something in the collum to the right. slight notching on serif of r.the next are both 1974d.the last three are two different 74d. looks like extra hair

Attached Files:

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Going down your list-Your first photo to left and right of statue is normal, 2nd photo in opening to right may be a clash (with your magnifier check both front and back to see if you have anything that looks like a transfer of details from reverse to obverse, this will indicate a die clash), nothing in 3rd photo, nothing in 4th photo, some machine doubling in 5th photo which is just wear from a loose collar in the minting process, just some dirt in America in 6th photo, and a slightly tilted mint mark in 7th photo but nothing important. The only thing that's looks interesting is the possible die clash I mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted