Double Die 1943 S Steel Cent NEED HELP

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DavidE2001, Jul 22, 2015.

1. DavidE2001

DavidE2001 Member

I have what looks to be a double die 1943-S steel cent. First off, am I correct in this analysis? I know these coins are tough because many have been reprocessed. Second, if it is a double die - what is it worth? I haven't found anything comparable so far in my online search. Thank you for your help. IMG_2298.JPG IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2301.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a Doubled Die - I want to share this webpage with you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubled_die

Note that the proper terminology for this occurrence includes the letter 'd' at the end of the first word, hence "doubled die". The term "double die" without the first word ending in 'd' is not proper numismatic terminology.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. paddyman98

What you have is called - Die Deterioration Doubling - Definition: Die deterioration (die wear, die fatigue) sometimes produces discernible doubling of affected design elements.
    I want to share this webpage with you -
    http://www.error-ref.com/die-deterioration-doubling/

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  5. paddyman98

I have seen a few of these over the years. They sell for about $3.00 - $10.00
    There are real certified Doubled Die 1943 Steel Cents that go for hundreds of dollars. Unfortunately, yours is not the one.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

#1) It is a DoubleD die
    #2: it isn't

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm having difficulty getting a proper impression of the coin from your photos, but from what I can see, the "doubling" present strikes me as being very similar to that often seen on "reprocessed" steel cents. If this is the cause, the coin is "worth" no more than face, and has essentially no collectible interest attached, but even if another form of "worthless doubling" (as has already been mentioned, it is NOT a doubled die), the realistic honest premium is none. Sure, sometimes you will find people, almost certainly misunderstanding what the coin actually displays, paying premiums for them, but this does not make them "worth" it.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted