Double bubble feature: Domna'd if I do. And Domna'd if I don't! Or: Best these buns Isis cans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Jan 21, 2021.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are quite a few barbarous Severans. Many, including these, are low to middle grade silver and solid. We simply do not know the status of every coin that does not fit the current theories of mint ID. I would love to know what the scholars of the next century thinks about the whole mess.
    re6360bb1783.jpg re6380bb02402.jpg
    Others are fourree.
    re6370bb1154.jpg

What we must remember is that saying something about one unofficial coin says nothing about every other unofficial coin. It is doubtful in my mind but some of the coins we dismiss as 'not official' could have been just as sanctioned as the acknowledged mints. Discovery and organization of mint organizations working backwards from coins is much slower than it would be if we had records documenting the complete system. What we 'know' and 'think' today is a bit different from fifty years ago and considerably different from a hundred or two hundred years ago. There is no reason to doubt that the next century will go by without change.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

How in Hell I could miss that cheeky chubby thread by the time you posted it (I didn't even "like" it :rolleyes: ), it will remain a mystery, butt now I can't butt post my own (well not my own, really, just a coin...)

0092-210.jpg
    Julia Titi, denarius - Rome mint, c.79-81 CE
    IVLIA AVGVSTA T AVG F, Bust of Julia right
    VENVS AVG, Venus leaning on a column, holding helmet and sceptre
    3.03 gr
    Ref : Cohen #12, RCV #2611

Q

Curtisimo, PeteB, ambr0zie and 8 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

One of my biggest scores of 2021 was this long-sought-after denarius, the VENERI VICTRICI reverse type featuring the cult image of Venus Victrix from Pompey's Temple of Venus.

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.23 g, 18.7 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, c. AD 164-167.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right. Beckmann type 9 hairstyle.
    Rev: VENERI VICTRICI, Venus standing right, resting right arm against column and holding transverse spear in right hand and helmet on extended left hand.
    Refs: RIC 713; BMCRE 161-162; Cohen/RSC 240; RCV 5265; MIR 41-4/10b; CRE 223.

Curtisimo, PeteB, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  5. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

My Julia Domna is much more puritan...

julia domna2.jpg

Curtisimo, PeteB, DonnaML and 9 others like this.
  6. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Mine isn't the cheeky version, but it's Julia Domna, and I jump at any chance to post a coin, so here she is. Vesta couldn't be coaxed into letting her coverings dip even a little bit...I tried.

JuliaDomna.png

Bing, Curtisimo, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  7. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Well, time to remember my #1 2021 purchase, also winning the popularity prize in my Top 10.
    When buying it I was under the impression it's rarer than it actually is, but even if it's somewhat common and it has (curious) surface and legends issue, I still think it's a GREAT coin.
    upload_2022-1-4_23-30-24.png

Titus AD 79-81. Rome
    Denarius AR
    17 mm, 2,53 g
    AD 79
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 34; Old RIC II Titus 9; RSC 268
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, head of Titus, laureate, right / Rev: TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII P P, Venus standing right, resting on column, holding helmet and spear

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

THICC.
    I like it :)

ambr0zie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted