Dorata Denario, L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Jun 7, 2019.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

RR gold toned Piso calpurnia-InAste 5.5.19.jpg
    I saw this coin in an auction recently. The golden tone intrigued me. How could it be that gold. Was it genuine? I looked on line and lots of Cr 340.1's have golden tone in their descriptions. See coin from Stacks auction below (Pale gray and golden).
    gold tone piso stacks 8.18.09.jpg

The seller's description in English and Italian:
    ROMAN REPUBLIC; silver denarius; L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi; 90 BC
    Obv - Head of Apollo
    Rev - Knight d. holds a palm
    4.25 grams
    Golden tone, BB +
    Cr. 340/1

ROMANE REPUBBLICANE - CALPURNIA - L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi (90 a.C.) - Denario - Testa di Apollo a d. /R Cavaliere a d. regge una palma Cr. 340/1 (AG g. 4,25) Dorata,
    BB+

The coin was too gold looking to me, but the price was modest. I wanted another coin in the auction, and they arrived today.

One of the first things I noticed was a crack that showed on the obverse (Alollo's head) and reverse (horses leg). When I looked at the edge, the crack was there, but not sharp. The weight is above the normal range for this coin of 4 grams. I have not averaged the coins on line because there are so many. I did not notice any as high as 4.25 grams.

My guess is the coin was plated. I do not see marks where the coin was held in a plating bath.

I will measure SpGr and report back.

Post your gold toned coins.

PS - I had to google dorata.
    DSCN3105.JPG
    DSCN3104.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Curious as to your SpGr results...

Here is a partial / kinda gold tone:

upload_2019-6-7_15-27-18.png
    RR M Volteius Mf AR Denarius 78 BCE 18mm 3.96g Hd Hercules R lion skin headdress - Erymanthian boar Cr 385-2 ex SteveX6

My PISO FRUGI:
    Pounded out during the Marsic / Social War

upload_2019-6-7_15-29-35.png
    RR Calpurnius Piso Frugi 90 BCE Social AR Denarius CXXXII ROM-A monogram Apollo Horseman - Marsic S 235 Cr 340-1

RR Calpurnius Piso Frugi 90 BCE Social AR Den Apollo Horseman S 235 Cr 340-1.jpg
    RR Calpurnius Piso Frugi 90 BCE Social AR Denarius Apollo Horseman S 235 Cr 340-1

upload_2019-6-7_15-31-30.png
    RR L Calpurnius Piso Frugi AR Quinarius 90 BCE 13 mm 1-93 g 2 h Rome Laureate head of Apollo right uncertain symbol behind Victory advancing right holding wreath and palm Cr 340-2 Calpurnia 13

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

AA_Tridrachm_3.jpg
    Hadrian, Cilicia Aegaea, circa 117 AD. AR Tridrachm 9.6 gm, GIC 1218. Toned.

Draft saved Draft deleted