Don't you wish you had been there?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hontonai, Jul 7, 2010.

1. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Found this in this morning's LA Times.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

What a mess! I think if I could walk away with some I'd like to have them slabbed with a special pedigree on the label denoting the accident.

Surprisingly this happens with some frequency, from 9/17/2008 news articles:

Truck Crash in Florida Causes 3 Million Nickels to Spill on Highway

Millions Of Nickels Spill On I-95 In Fatal Semi Crash

Four Reprimanded for Taking Nickels from Highway Crash
    from 1/29/2009

and

Armored truck drops money on I-75 from 12/6/2009

Armored Truck Drops Cash! [YouTube video]

4. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Not really. Stuff like this happens all time in us, with atms glitching, etc.

5. A similar event happened in Miami when I lived there back in the 1990's. An armored car overturned on a highway overpass above a very poor neighborhood showering people with money. News broadcasts showed partying in the streets. A young boy turned in $1.35 and was labeled a hero. Good times. TC

6. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

He probably got his butt whooped when he got home...

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not really. This was in the news here earlier this week, and according to what I read about the accident, some people stopped (on the autostrada!) and grabbed a few coins or rolls. Unless they all had to stop anyway (traffic jam due to the accident maybe), I think that is a little risky. Here are some photos: http://blog.oggi.it/news/2010/07/06/piovono-soldi-sullautostrada-guarda-le-foto/ Now had those been €50 or €100 notes ... ;)

Christian

8. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I fail to see how helping yourself to someone else's property isn't plain and simple theft. This money wasn't lost or abandoned; it clearly belonged to someone (or was in the care of) someone who was still there and was injured. Shame on these opportunistic people.

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

It is theft. And if you take anything from an accident here in the US and are caught you can be prosecuted. Just because something is on the ground does not make it unowned property. However, If I found a bag of cash that fell off an armored truck, I would at least count it before I decided to turn it in. LOL I guess my integrity may come at a price yet to be determined ?

10. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

This is theft stealing from auto wrecks! If you did take anything turn it in!

vnickels

11. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Yea, if you loot of a accident like that, its just kinda sad. Best thing to do was: "i was never there"

12. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I agree that turning it in is the best move. You were getting by before it happened, and you will get by without taking any of the things. Turning it in will not hurt you in any way. Keeping something might.

It might be different of there was no way to identify the owner. Like a coin in the parking lot. But everyone knows where these coins came from and whose property they are. That means you just gotta give it back.

In my opinion, anyway.

13. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

I think if you took any it would be a pretty cut and dry theft case.

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nah, lost & found.

You lost it, I found it!

;)

15. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Taking something that you know does not belong to you is still theft. Call it what you will, but theft is theft. Personally, I never aspired to be a petty thief. A handful of nickles is certainly not enough to make me look at myself in a different light. And I never want to be a thief for a pittance. LOL

16. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

hmmm, stealing is stealing

17. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

True, but the temptation might not be resisted if the sum was enormous ? It hasn't happened yet, but I cannot say for certain that it never would. I hope not, anyway.

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In my opinion it is moot to constantly emphasize that grabbing the coins or rolls was theft in this case. Yes, it sure was, but I guess that some (of those who stopped and did that) thought that after such an accident a few pieces would be left on the ground anyway. After all, in a case like this it is highly unlikely that every single piece on and around the emergency lane will be found and collected by the owner. And since quite a few drivers thought this way, the amount stolen was in the five digit range ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted