Don't you just HATE getting bid sniped at the last second on Ebay. . ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

Some do it the old fashioned way. Alarms on the phone set for one minute until the end. I like the rush!

serafino and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Derrick Combs

Yes, I experimented once, set a bid that was too high on a coin and went to sleep. I was 30 over the price guide value. I woke up and someone had run me to 100 even which was my top bid. When they realized that they stopped bidding. I over paid but learned a lesson. I'll do this to people. If I see a coin way under, maybe if don't want it but you're not getting it that cheap either lol. I'll run it up before it ends. I've done this a lot. I've won a couple stupid cheap trying to do this as well.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. Derrick Combs

Something to watch for, when you set the first bid it'll say 1 bid. If you go back and raise that before the end in anticipation of someone going over you, now the count says 2 bids/1 bidder. At that point a seller or another bidder knows you raised your bid. They know you're over minimum. A shill would try pushing at that point. I know I would if I was into that. I will push people that do that just to push them. Maybe the coin is worth 50 starting bid 40 1 bidder/2 bids in dropping 43 to move you higher. Then walk away. You don't want to raise that bid until the last second to avoid a push.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. Derrick Combs

I stuck someone once. I dropped what I thought would get it and someone went higher. It happens, I smile lol

ddddd likes this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Great insight and advice. Didn't think of that, and I've had that done to me as well.

Z

7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

This is the CORRECT ANSWER.

thejaxcollector and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

They have snipping programs? Now that is sort of cheating....sounds more imoral thou.

9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I'm sure that I won auctions over people using "sniping programs" when I had "sniped" coins that I really wanted using my max bid in the last few seconds by hand.

I don't know why I won and their cool little AI didn't. I think it has to do with your own "large" bid done in those last few seconds that doesn't give their program time to zap a counter. I mean, we all use the internet at ~about~ the same speeds, so... perhaps a program won't help you unless you place a "massive" max bid? Not sure how that works exactly.

Perhaps I was just bidding against people who weren't willing to lay the money on the coins that I was.

After looking at some final values for South Korean coins at eBay this weekend (see below), I think I'm:

1) glad my initial collection goal for my S. Korea collection is completed, and
    2) starting to get priced out of the market for these coins(!)

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.40.28 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Everett Guy and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

You got some nice coins there at some good prices. I think one thing that helps is most bid exact dollar or $1.50 or $1.75 lets say for number wise, so if you put your bid at say $1.76 its still saying you out bid the $1.75 bidders, I have won a few where people who tried to jump in at say $50.50 when I had $50.56. Its a crazy world bidding on coins. I just set a main high bid and go with that and if I really want the coin I will bid a round about retail price.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. Moxie15

Moxie15 New Member

Getting ego involved in an auction is foolishness. This is what the auction house is trying to do, and is an auctioneer's main job. The only thing you win in an auction is the bid, you cannot hold a bid in your hands. It does not take skill or knowledge to win, just money. Understanding this is the most important thing for a bidder. All the well thought strategies and systems are akin to systems for winning at roulette.

The only winner in an auction is the house. Thinking otherwise is not wise.

Everett Guy likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think you're taking too narrow a view. If I land a lot worth $1000 for $150 because I know enough to recognize a valuable item and no other bidders did, I win. Sure, the seller gets some money, and the venue gets some money, but in the end, I get more.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  13. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

There's some type of website that bidders use that is setup to outbid everyone who placed bids at the very last second. I had a friend who had mentioned it's existance to me years ago.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

That's why when I do my searching, I also deliberately search for "mis-spelled item" auctions. Not just for coins, but for anything. You'd be surprised at the rarities listed at times that are seeing no foot (eye) traffic due to "nickle" and the like.

-jeffB and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Nevertheless, it happens all the time. As advice, though, it is sound to keep your head when all about you are losing theirs (some famous person said that).

While true, the fact that all it takes is money is a trite observation. The object is not to simply win, but to win within whatever constraints you have set for yourself. That is where the strategies and systems apply. And to continue your gambling metaphor, those strategies have much more in common with Blackjack than roulette.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not always. If the first bidders max bid is higher than yours, but by less than an increment he still gets it at his max bid not an increment over yours.

Because your max bid was higher than theirs.

serafino and ZoidMeister like this.
  17. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

This has happened to me more times than I can mention . . .

Z

18. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I kinda suspected, but wasn't sure.
    That's a bummer: I was hoping I won because I had better reflexes than the other bidder, who had the worst reflexes of all time.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 7.14.33 AM.png

ZoidMeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted