Don't you just HATE getting bid sniped at the last second on Ebay. . ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I find that I do better on Buy it Now, or Best Offer situations, price wise. I have made offers on coins that did not have a best offer, and it was often accepted. Auctions tend to be designed to get people excited, so that they will irrationally overbid, and way overpay.

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Yes, some crooked eBay sellers do use shill bidding. It's against eBay's rules and I know some sellers have been caught and banned for it. However, not enough of them

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. serafino

Sometimes you do know, I have won some eBay auctions by 20 cents and lost them by the same.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. serafino

I put in a very low bid early on and in the last two seconds I will fire my bid.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. serafino

I rarely find a decent Buy it Now for the coins I'm looking for, most are priced way too high. Bidding has been the best for me,

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, it's been ages since I bothered with an auction. I'm not buying much these days anyhow, and when I do, it's usually below-going-rate BIN new listings or Best Offers.

ZoidMeister and Morgandude11 like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A rational approach that guarantees you will never pay more than your maximum for a coin, but which also makes it very likely you will pay more than you needed to on those auctions that you do win due to the "nickel and dime" bidders running up your bids before they give up. Also a snipe bid of that max bid would also make it more likely you would have won at least some of those auctions you lost, and often for less than your max bid.

ZoidMeister and -jeffB like this.
  9. CircCam

CircCam Victory

This happened to me last year, I put in a nuclear bid the day before close at 6x retail for what I felt was the ultimate 1853 A+R circulated cameo quarter. Someone else felt that way too about it, saw the way the wind was blowing and incrementally bid all the way up until they passed mine. They ended up paying an absolutely insane amount for the coin, and I learned that if I’m going to nuclear bid something I’m still going to wait til the very end.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. Dialupsux

Dialupsux Well-Known Member

Duh... Whats a nuclear bid please ?

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's a ridiculously high bid that you think will be much higher than it would take to actually win. For example, you are bidding on a $100 coin and put in a $1,000 bid to guarantee winning (hopefully nowhere close to your bid but it does happen that someone else is just as bold and the item goes for an insane amount).

CircCam likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Exactamundo! That is exactly my thoughts.

Z

13. serafino

That's what happens when two or more bidders shoot giant nuclear bids like that. That's what I would be worried about. Seller of course will love it.

NSP, ddddd and ZoidMeister like this.
  14. coinup

coinup Junior Member

I usually make my bid and leave. If I win, great! If not, great!

15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Just sniped another win tonight.

I am convinced that if I had bid my maximum early on, I would have ended up paying a LOT more for the item, or the other bidder would have pushed it beyond my tolerance.

By waiting until 6 seconds left in the auction, I got the piece for about 65% of my maximum. It ended with a final price of only $5 above my "feeler" bid.

Z

Z

CircCam and serafino like this.
  16. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

I have learned if a coin is sitting at $26 lets say and its worth $75 lets say, I will put a auto bid at $66. If it goes over oh well. I am tired of watching the timer on 3 sites...set it (auto bid) and forget it...now if I really want that coin I will be lurking in the darkness like the boogie man we are all afraid of...ooowww haaa haaa! Lol

serafino likes this.
  17. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

I must add it does suck getting a bunch of emails that say "you have been out bid!"....dam the boogie man! And it is always a buck or two over my max bid I loose by too...I find if you keep track of the major players that win these bids at last second and see how they bid you can adapt your bidding strategy to out smart the boogie man. It doesnt work all the time but it will some of the time.

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's always by the next bid increment if you were the underbidder. If the next increment is a buck or two then thats why

19. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Fells good just out bid a sniper bidder:) in the last two seconds by two cents!!!for this American silver is just to expensive on the bay 20210130_220241.jpg 20210130_220226.jpg

serafino and ZoidMeister like this.
  20. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

Sadly this is the best way to win. Also without over paying. Once you drop that bid, if it's not high enough the auction is over. I don't bid until the last second ever. I don't use a sniping program either. Even if it ends at 3am I'll have alarms set on my phone. You have to be ready to jump bid at the last second even if you don't need it. I've lost things and won things. And sometimes by the time I hit send its already jumped up higher than I was willing to pay. No time left to re type it either. You win some you lose some.

serafino, ZoidMeister and Everett Guy like this.
  21. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

I dropped 301.01 once winning by a penny. That other guy had to be looking over his shoulder like, is that guy in my house?

serafino, bradgator2 and Everett Guy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted