Don't you just HATE getting bid sniped at the last second on Ebay. . ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Jan 23, 2021.

1. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

What was the feedback score and percentage of bids with that seller of the nickel and dime bidder?

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

A few times I really loved it. I had bought a theatre booklet from a couple decades ago (with a major star, but before he became famous) for like a dollar, and put it up on ebay for 2.00 or something. It did not sell. I got a message from a buyer asking me to put it up again so I did. Same price. He put in a bid. His was the only bid for the entire week ... up to the end. Someone tried to snipe it with a huge bid. The original bidder had put in a very high price (50.00 or so) so he had to pay a lot because of the sniper who did not get the item. Same thing pretty much happened with an old postcard I had bought for 5.00 and put up for 7 or 8. It went for 50 because of a last minute sniper.

Snipe bids can be great for the sellers and if you put in a bid early (large or small) even, you have to be prepared to possibly either pay as much (if a sniper meets your bid) or miss out on it. I've sniped at the last moment. Timing it so that my snipe bid (manually hitting the button) hits at just before the end of the auction and the high bidder can't react. Sometimes that won me the item and sometimes it just made the high bidder pay more, but it was so that when I put mine in, if no one was doing it at the same time as me, they did not have enough time to watch, see it, and react with a higher bid of their own.

But I haven't sold on ebay for awhile.

dwhiz and ZoidMeister like this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Higher than mine actually.

Z

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Yep...that's pretty much how it's done. ;)

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Sometimes when someone bids in increments like that, they're just trying to find your max. Sometimes, if they have a small feedback score and a high percentage of bids with that seller, it's a sign of a shill.

7. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I only bid toward the end. Bidding early can give away your involvement. This, primarily with the Cherries. Years ago I’d spotted a low pop variety going cheap. Looked at the bids, saw a bid by (***1746). I don’t know if they’ve changed the practice of showing the FB# but I knew who was bidding. Granted my move was a bit childish but I didn’t care for 1746 one bit as he’s a closet scoundrel. Long story short I nuke bid with a few seconds left, went from like $36.50, to $761, with his max bid just under mine. The thought of the pee spot made me grin...

Kasia, ZoidMeister and -jeffB like this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I snipe and get sniped. Sometimes someone gas deeper pockets or wants the coin more than I do.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. ZoidMeister

smiley-evil-01.jpg

10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I employ various strategies depending on the coin, the displayed interest, etc. Sniping is part of that set of strategies and can be very effective but if I really want the coin then my snipe bid has to be strong or I risk losing it due to insufficient time. Key always is knowing what the coin is worth in the market and what it's worth to me-not always the same thing.

The closest snipe I ever won was $0.01 on a coin that hammered for, IIRC, about $700. Pure dumb luck with emphasis on the dumb.

11. ZoidMeister

Here is ONE of the items I sniped . . . . . . the other hasn't arrived yet.

Just had to share . . . . . .

Z

IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

It took me a while to develop my method and philosophy of bidding on eBay or any other auction site.
    (I've been bidding on eBay since early 1999.)
    I now decide what my top bid for an item will be, then I bid that.
    If I get outbid then in my opinion the winner overbid.

jb10000lakes and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What LRC-Tom said in post 11.
    There is sniper bidding software, that people use to win bids.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I use MyiBidder. I put in a maximum bid using the app and forget about it. If I win then good. If I loose no big deal. When multiple bidders are competing the price oftentimes becomes ridiculously high. Why bring attention to an item by bidding days or hours prior to the auction close? Don’t let your ego be responsible for you paying more than you should for an item.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    ZoidMeister and -jeffB like this.
  15. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I don't use software and only ever bid in the last few seconds of an auction. My belief is, why would I ever get in a bidding war and run up the price on something I want? Bid my maximum at the last second and I either win or lose. Half of the time I forget about the auctions I am watching, which means how badly did I really want it? Everyone has their own way of doing it and none of them are wrong. In the end you are going to win some and lose some. I am happy with the ones I win and figure the one I lose, someone wanted more than me.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I’d tried the last second bid at GC, didn’t work. My max was $1501. Coin sold to a scoundrel for $300.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"Place your maximum bid and wait" works fine as long as all the other bidders are rational too. But they aren't. So, if you put in your maximum bid of $500, someone who thought he was only going to have to bid $400 might talk himself into going up, because he just has to have it. If you put in a snipe of $500, the other guy can put in his $400 bid, but unless he's got fast reflexes, he won't have time to outbid you, and you'll get it for $405 (or whatever the increment is at that level these days).

Then there's the whole cherry-picking scene, where a lot is sitting at $10 but it contains a variety worth $5000. Another bidder thinks he's identified that variety, but isn't sure, and puts in a bid at $30. You put in your $5000 bid, and now it's at $31 -- and the other guy starts to think he's probably right about that variety, and starts bidding against you. If it gets high enough, that alone can attract attention from others ("why is that set of three common dimes bid up to $31, OH LOOK AT THAT, a 1942/1-D I do believe!"). Not that that would ever happen in real life, of course -- in real life, it was a $25,000 coin. :rolleyes:

Obone and ZoidMeister like this.
  18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

If you don’t want to get outsniped, just make your maximum bid. If someone is willing to pay more than you did, oh well. That is what an auction is all about. I have sniped and been outsniped. I have also made a maximum bid in the last few minutes, and have both won some, and lost some. Bidding a maximum bid simply means you have decided to pay a certain amount, and no more. Someone outbids you, it means they were willing to pay more. Simple.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  19. -jeffB

But, again, by placing your maximum bid earlier, you're revealing more information. Sometimes that means you end up paying more.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I would never place it early. I would do it in the final 2-3 minutes of the auction.

21. -jeffB

That's still more than enough time for some people (certainly never me :rolleyes:) to talk themselves into bidding more than they otherwise might...

ZoidMeister, USS656 and Gilbert like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted