Don't you just HATE getting bid sniped at the last second on Ebay. . ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Jan 23, 2021.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I mean, you've been high bidder for days. You're watching the listing, refreshing every three or four seconds. All looks good right up to the close . . .

. . . them BAM, auction is over.

You didn't win . . ?!?!? Some azzhat just beat you out by $1 or $2 over your last bid . . !!!!

Has this ever happened to you? What were you chasing and how much did you get outbid by?

I don't mind this happening if the sale price is 25% over my high bid, but $2? C'mon . . .

What's your story?

Z

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Happens all the time. Annoying? Absolutely. But would I rather get into a bidding war with someone or just bid my max and move on? I choose "move on".

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You don't know how much it would have actually taken to beat the other person. Just because they win by a dollar doesn't mean their high bid wasn't 50 dollars higher or more. Just put your high bid in and if you win you win if not it happens. If it's something you really want make it a strong bid and if you absolutely must have it no matter what put in a nuclear bid

YoloBagels, NSP, Kasia and 2 others like this.
  5. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I hate being bid snipped, but also I did snip other's bid at the last second entry, so I guess i'm fair:angelic:

serafino, ZoidMeister and MIGuy like this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Maybe the seller didn't want to let it go at your offer. Maybe the winner was stooging for him to save it. I don't know whether this is a common practice in coin auctions, but I've seen it in others.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. Dialupsux

Dialupsux Well-Known Member

computer aided bidding eh, sniper bid - such as gixen

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    spirityoda and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

There is great joy in being that sniper. :)

Know what you are willing to spend, and submit it within the last few seconds. If you know this item usually sells for around $50. And it’s shaping up to probably be near that again. Then bid an odd $51.23 or something.

Beefer518, ZoidMeister and -jeffB like this.
  9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Make sure you understand how eBay bidding really works. If you're outbid by only one other person, their winning bid will always be one increment above your maximum (unless their maximum bid exceeds yours by less than the increment).

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/automatic-bidding?id=4014

https://www.dummies.com/business/on...ke-your-high-bid-by-proxy-in-an-ebay-auction/

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I have had it happen in both directions. I've won and lost items in the last seconds by as little as a few cents. Losing by one bid increment leaves a feeling of mystery-did the person bid just a little more or did they bid quite a bit more? Losing by pennies means you just didn't guess the right number.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

People use sniper software. It happens all the time.

Dialupsux and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Realistically it just means someone else wanted it more. You can't snipe over someones top bid unless they are willing to pay more

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep, if you've never sniped, you've never lived! laughhard.gif

ZoidMeister, yakpoo and JayAg47 like this.
  15. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Depending upon the bidder, in some cases, getting snipped was actually a good thing for them.........not necessarily speaking of you here, Baseball21......you were just the last one who posted.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Looks like I just got snipped by Fretboard.

ZoidMeister and yakpoo like this.
  17. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I don't really buy much anymore but when I did it would happen all the time, and it always seemed like 95% of the time I was the runner up. You'd think it would more often be the case that two people or more would outbid me, but no, it was always me and one other guy. I'd always think, if only that one other guy wasn't there I would have had it and had it cheaper besides.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I always bid my max and if I win fine if I lose that's fine also. as there will be another one to bid on.
    This is a hobby to me just something I enjoy.

Sley, jamor1960, calcol and 2 others like this.
  20. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Same here, dwhiz. I bid what it's worth to me, or what I can afford. If I'm outbid I just move on...don't lose any sleep over it.

Bruce

Derrick Combs, dwhiz and ZoidMeister like this.
  21. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Here's why I started this thread.

I recently won two auctions on Ebay by doing the snipe. I put in early "feeler" bids on the items just to keep them more visible in my Ebay feed and to see what other interest is out there. Close to the end of the auction, I see one or two bidders making small incremental bids until my feeler bid gets outbid. I know from their pattern, they are not "all in" and are only a few dollars above me at that point.

Right at auctions end, with seconds left, I drop my real maximum. This ended up winning at a couple bid increments above my feeler bid and way below my maximum.

I get the sense that if I had started with my maximum, the other bidder would have continued nickel and dime bidding until my max was hit. I've seen this pattern in the past and it has cost me.

By letting the other guy believe he is getting a great deal up until seconds before auctions end, I can recoup the lead for one or two bid increments.

Sometimes when the starting bid is too close to my maximum, I will put my feeler bid at cents above starting bid. That allows the alternate bidder to feel comfortable to the end. I'll drop my maximum bid as kind of a "spite" bid to get whomever outbid my feeler bid to pay a bit more. Sometimes this approach gets the item for one bid increment but still quite a bit lower than my maximum.

Both approaches remove the psychology of open bidding and turn Ebay into more of a "sealed bid" or "secret bid" platform.

Just relating what has been sucessful for me. This obviously does not work if there are three or more other bidders on a particular item. But if I am going head to head with one or possibly two other bidders, it works for me.

Z

ace ventura, jamor1960, ddddd and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted