Don't Tell Anyone--Closet Presidential Dollar Collector!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 19, 2009.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Lehigh,

One question, will you fill the Obama slot or leave it empty?:(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lehigh is not tacky...........

4. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Can anyone explain why Carter would have to pass away for Reagan to get a coin??? I have never understood this theory.... Why can't they just skip Carter if he's still living?

5. green18

It's the way the Law was written........

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Yeah, and our congressmen and women always obey the laws!

Warning: The above comment dripping with sarcasm.

7. Rassi

What is the logic behind it though? I guess I shouldn't be expecting logic from our govt....

8. green18

Love ya JP, but we can't make this thread 'political'.......feel the pain brother.

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

There logic isn't that strong frankly. The way it is written, for a President to appear on the dollar, they must have passed away 2 years before the coin is to be issued. Since Carter is scheduled to be released in 2016, that means he must die before the end of 2014 (or possibly prior to the date 2 years prior to the 2016 release date...not sure which). The series will end once they reach a living President...regardless if there are dead presidents after him. I think the logic is they want a series where it is issued in exact order.

On the other hand, I would imagine if Carter was to die prior to release date (but less than 2 years prior) they just might amend the law. Both FDR and JFK were placed on coins 1 year after their respective deaths.

Edit...I might be wrong. What I said before is the way the law was written as I understand it. However, I went to wikipedia to look at planned release years and they claim that Reagan will be produced as the 39th coin in the series if Carter is still living past 2014 (and therefore does not get a coin). Take that for what it's worth as I know wikipedia is not always correct...I'm not sure what is correct now.

10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Oh man. This is a major coming out party. Were these purchased in a dark alley? ;)

(I collect them too. On one of those as seen on tv boards)

11. Rassi

I don't see the benefit of them having them "in order" - if someone's still alive, skip 'em.

12. CamaroDMD

I don't really see the point either. But, I want to put together a set in an album that comes from the factory properly labeled. So, I'm waiting until the set concludes so such an album exists.

13. Rassi

While I don't collect them in an album (my set is NGC slabs) I can certainly understand this and support this.

14. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Looks like they were from mint sets? If so, the difference in finishes is because up untill 2011 they were the satin finish. Personally, I like the regular finishes myself.

15. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

I have a few slabbed ones that I got from a couple of DirectCoin grab bag purchases. They are all MS66 or PF69. Not something I really collect so they're taking up space in my safe.

16. Rassi

I'll take 'em if you just want to get rid of em... ;)

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

According to the U.S. Mint's release date schedule for the POTUS $1s, the series ends with Gerald Ford, so it looks as though wikipedia missed on this. Course too, most of what's contained on wikipedia is user submitted and not always accurate with regards to the information anyway.

18. CamaroDMD

I know, that's why I said to take it for what's its worth as wiki isn't always accurate. I have found a lot of the information is good...but a lot is also completely wrong.

BUncirculated likes this.
  19. MrDSmith

MrDSmith Senior Member

If you look back at how many series were unpopular in their time, and then look at what mint state examples fetch decades later, you never know. When something is unpopular, collectors don't save many and they get beaten up over time, making the ones that were stored away more valuable.

Will that happen to this series? We'll see in 20 or 30 years.

20. green18

Ya know Adam? There was a time when folks thought the eagle on the Morgan dollar was a scrawny bird. Time will tell..........

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It's been a really long time since I updated this thread, but since my gf gave me the 2014 & 2015 for Xmas, I figured I should image them before putting them in my IS album. Here are the 2014-Ps (POTUS 29-32).

[​IMG]

Tater, Rassi and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted