Don't Tell Anyone--Closet Presidential Dollar Collector!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Lehigh, I used to think you were cool....Mike

(who hopes you don't expose me as a closet Ike collector) :D

geekpryde likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Shoot if Mike is an Ike Collector, and Lehigh is a presidential dollar collector...
    I guess I better come out of the closet too... :D (I'm an ancient coin collector) LOL

(Had you there for a second, didn't I?)

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Indeed I do believe that Lehigh is a "closet" modern collector (LOL).

I've got a Dansco of PDS and I also collect the cost prohibitive rolls from the mint....

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Since I am already outed, I might as well give an update. They seemed to have changed the finish over the last two years.

[​IMG]

These coins are not very impressive individually, but when assembled together in a collection, they actually look very good. I really like Monroe, Van Buren, Arthur, and Cleveland #2.

geekpryde likes this.
  6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I'm not convinced on two points. (1) That they look better as a set (2) that you really like these things.

There does seem to be 3 different finishes shown here, or did you make a lighting change?

I will admit that we all have our little out-of-character / unexpected interests. For instance, based on my upbringing, geography, and socio-economic background there is no way to explain why I like gangster-rap, but I do. Strange, huh?

(no, I'm not joking).

7. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I have a collection of all the Presidentials (and all the Sacky/Native Americans) in NGC PF 69 UC slabs.... Most would consider it foolish, but I like 'em.

8. Lehigh96

I like anything POTUS and I think they look great in my Intercept Shield album. There is no chance that I am collecting them based on investment potential so I must really like them. I'm not crazy about the new finish. I like the way the first 3 years looked much better. I photographed every coin last night at the same time, no lighting change.

9. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

I have a few of them slabbed that picked up in "grab bags" from directcoin.com. I wasn't necessarily looking for them but they came with the pick. Most of them are either MS or PF 69s.

I had a whole set of them through 2010 in a nice display case that I picked at my local coin club auction that I turned around and sold on ebay for a little bit of profit.

10. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I wonder why they went with full face view portraits for a couple of those (Lincoln, Taylor). I don't think those ever turn out very well on coins. I'm not a big fan of the profile shots of Hayes and Arthur either. I think the three-quarter view works best.

11. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Don't feel bad. I'm still buying three of the cover series for each pres.

12. Lehigh96

Another Update

[​IMG]

I'm not crazy about the Teddy Roosevelt profile.

BUncirculated likes this.
  13. green18

No? I'm Bully for it..........:)

14. Lehigh96

15. green18

That's a very nice example Paul. Mint roll? Mint set?

16. Lehigh96

Yes, mint set.

17. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Teddy is my son's favorite President. He says who can't like someone who was shot and continues to go on stage and give his 90 min prepared speech??? I got him a certified example earlier in the year as a present...

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I own the first 3 years in PF70 UCAM. Got the first two years for less than $35 per set. They're ANACS, but I don't care because I bought them because I liked them. I also own Susan B Anthony's in PF70 UCAM (PCGS and NGC).

I don't know what it is about the proof coins, but the mirrored fields and frosty details just look so cool. The Proof ASE's also are awesome looking. They almost look like jewelry. Ooh, shiny, me likey!o_O

Rassi likes this.
  19. I am also a collector of the Presidentials. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with the series. I would not say I am a closet collector of them............ it just isn't something I would bring up, or admit to at a cocktail party.

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't see anything wrong with assembling the set...especially since you don't seem to have any belief that you are going to make a ton of money from selling it when it's complete. It's actually kind of a fun set...but I agree I don't care for the TR coin. I have been thinking about putting together a set of proofs in an album...probably a Dansco. But I am going to wait until they finish the series because I don't know when it will end and I want to have the album correctly show the set. My understanding is that if President Carter is still living at the end of next year, the series will end in 2016 with Ford. If Carter was to pass away prior to the end of 2016 it would end with Reagan in 2016 (unless H.W. Bush passes way from to the end of 2015).

Since there is some apparent uncertainty as to what this set will actually include, I am going to wait to put one together. I don't see a big price change in the next couple years coming.

21. green18

Hey, the danged things will always be worth a buck........:)

BUncirculated likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted