Don't Tell Anyone--Closet Presidential Dollar Collector!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Okay, I admit it. I have an intercept shield album for the Presidential Dollars. This is how it looks so far.

[​IMG]

I am surprised there isn't more excitement about the Lincoln Dollar coming out in 2010. These coins are actually very attractive in an album setting. They look much nicer than one might imagine.

Does anyone else have a closet collection, or a Presidential Dollar collection?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I miss-placed mine :( lol and neglected most from 2009

4. fagaly

fagaly Junior Member

Don't tell ... .

Yep, I'm doing the presidentials, but in the 4 page Whitman folder. I'm also collecting the bronze Spouse medals (I'd rather save the $$ it would take to get the 1/2 oz gold and spend it on half cents:whistle:)

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Alright who hijacks LeHigh's account!! lol

Kasia likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That is too funny!! Yes, I have a few myself, not as many as you do but you got me beat on all coin levels anyways. :D Actually my father in law and my wife collect those president dollars. I think when the Lincoln dollar hits the market plenty of ppl will be excited. I really never knew how popular Lincoln is until I joined this forum.
    closet collection, that is funny!!:D

7. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

I have 2 Dansco albums. 1 has the business strikes and proofs and the 2nd has the satin finish for the us mint set and proofs again. I really like the way they look in the album!!

SHHHH Don't tell anyone but I also have the proofs graded.
    [​IMG]

8. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

Ok..I'll come clean. Im a Canadian in Toronto and I collect UNC examples of them. Im current with them all, both mint marks, and got them all in 2 x 2's in an album.
    My Canadian collection requires alot of the more pricey and elusive key dates to complete, or upgrading existing coins to better grades which is a long exercise, so I wanted to continue collecting something that was reasonably priced, in which I can immedialtey see the fruits of my labour. Once I knew the State/Territorial quarters were drawing to close this seemed like a logical choice. (I got all of them as well)
    Theres a dealer up here approx 30KM's away that gets them from the US, charges me 2 bucks Canadian for each one, and I will also get them from ebay. If I win a coin on ebay (or buy it now), I will take advantage of shipping and handling incentives charges and order the presidential coins at the same time if they got them. This keeps the cost down.
    As part of my self-imposed history lesson, once I get the coins, I'll do an internet search to see exactly what this president was all about.
    I think they are a much nicer collector item than collecting the same old Susan B Anthony or Sasq' type designs but thats my opinion.
    I do draw the line with not collecting the presidential wives series..omfg..whats up with that?

9. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

"I think when the Lincoln dollar hits the market plenty of ppl will be excited. I really never knew how popular Lincoln is until I joined this forum.
    closet collection, that is funny!!"

Busted~I have been stashing a roll of each Prez Dollar all along hoping that the Lincoln issue will inspire interest.

10. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

The only reason Lehigh came forward now, is because he wants to be like Lincoln. He cannot tell a lie............he did (a) chop down the cherry tree or (b) steal the money from his wife's purse to buy these.

11. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Those dont even tone up nicely...
    There has to be another reason that I just dont see.
    Do you think he knows they are worth 100 cents and not 5 cents each?
    :D

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I actually got a Zachary Taylor in change the other day. But then I spent it. Sorry, I just can't get excited about these.

13. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Those prez dollars didn't even have time to tone yet! Do you have a fever, Lehigh?

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I got a chuckle out of the title when I saw this. :D Like airing out the dirty laundry!

Nah, they are pretty decent coins. I don't know if they'll ever have much value but yet another series that probably will go unappreciated until it's all done and over with.

(Closet door creeks open and I step out to sheepishly exclaim.......)

Yes, I have been collecting them. Only I've got zero effort in it. Somebody in my family got a good deal on the wall mounted frame with all the holes for them, with the pic of the Whitehouse. As the new ones come out, they send me another one and I push the capsule into the next hole.

I have little interest in them beyond that. If I didn't receive that as a gift, I wouldn't be collecting them. I think it's funny that most people still don't even know what they are.

15. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

I have three sets of them in folders I get at the bank, dollar for dollar swap. Three kids equal three folders. Of course they are all from the Philadelphia mint. Amazing to me how nice these stay considering how they darken so easily and the fact they are just in folders with me living in Florida. I also have two sets of the proofs in Littleton Albums.

Not a very exciting group this year, but starting in 2010 it will be presidents people are more familiar with. I think one of the problems with these from a collector standpoint is most are really tired of the dead presidnets on coins.

16. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I tried. I bought rolls of the first 3, then lost interest. Then spent the rolls I bought. Same with the quarters. I started 5 books, got to the 3rd year and lost interest. spent the unc rolls I had, it wasn't worth selling them on ebay. I own no pres. dollars and 5 partially filled quarter books. Also, my 2005 buffalo nickel roll sets don't excite me much either.

17. Space 4 Rent

Space 4 Rent Uber-Collector

18. kudegras

kudegras Kudegras

I enjoy the presidential dollar series. I have 07-09 and will snatch 2010 when it arrives!

19. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I sure as heck don't. Don't intend on getting one either.
    Some disgusting coins, IMO.
    At one time I was thinking about starting one, and even did, but I then lost interest. Nothing like the state quarter program, because you cannot find these things in circulation. With the state quarters there was joy in collecting them, because I would check my change everytime I got change! Thing is with these, is that it is very rare to find them in circulation, and most people wouldn't want to use them anyway.

Kasia likes this.
  20. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

LOL, me too. I've set aside the dollars from mint sets and purchased the Mint plastic framed proofs. Been looking for a storage/display solution, something other than albums with sliding lenses.

21. RUFUSREDDOG

RUFUSREDDOG Senior Member

Later

Face value rolls from the Philly mint get passed out by my local bank when I ask, so I get them, fondle them with gloves and have set some aside in 2X2 flips except for the ones I spend.

I consider it free fun to watch expressions as some folks try to figure out what I have handed them.

Some day I may want to swap my "P"'s for someone's "D"s in similar condition.

Like T$ sez, I expect to find them in change someday like the State quarters hunters.

It's fun to have a reason to look at your change.

I bet T$'s Grandkids wont even take the time read the receipt when coinage is used for ballast instead of circulation!
    :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted