Don't know what this Ebay seller's problem is

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rushmore, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Not worth your time then. wink.png
    That's why they call it " EvilBay".

mlov43, Dan Galbato and Rushmore like this.
  4. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Not only is that over the limit, but that seller needs to be flushed down a giant toilet. If the seller blocks you from buying anything after making an innocent offer, you should report him.

rte likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

6. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I've tried reporting sellers before and FleaBay won't even let me try.

7. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Really?

I guess we can now call them WeBay.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  8. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I was finally able to, doubt anything will happen

9. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Hopefully something can. I simply don't understand why they "take" offers but decline every single one. I've experienced that before and I really hate to see you go through it.

Rushmore and JoshuaP like this.
  10. JoshuaP

JoshuaP Well-Known Member

I have had a similar experience with making an offer. I think that if they allow people to make offers, they should be willing to at least counteroffer. $2 off an $18 item is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. In my case, I offered $20 less on an $850 gold coin my dad was wanting me to get for him. The seller was very rude and refused to budge. I wondered at that time, why even offer OBO? If the seller doesn't want to go lower, don't offer OBO. It is that simple.

11. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Exactly. I would have been fine with a counter offer. Not like I offered $5 for two quarter sized silver coins

12. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I read through Ebays terms and conditions for sellers there was nothing in their about unfairly blocking potential buyers if you don't like their offers.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Maybe some sellers think a buyer will be so excited about the coin they'll offer more than the asking. :wacky: Well, maybe not. But it happens in real estate you know.

Cal

ldhair and SensibleSal66 like this.
  14. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

You need to become an Ebay moderator lol! If sellers don't accept offers but put OBO, they need to simply put it as Buy It Now.

15. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

There should be a running list of bad apples! It would help weed out the ones to avoid and help the better and honest sellers.

16. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Talking about bad apples, I feel like those people would be the new SGS. They'd probably slab a MS69 1880-S Morgan and sell it for about $1,000, when in all honesty it's probably closer to MS62.

17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Sellers can block whomever they want. Some people are fools. Just forget it and move on. There's nothing worth doing about it.

18. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

From another angle, perhaps he thought you were "nit picking" on an $18 silver coin. What do you think the actual value is?

I closed my eBay acct about 15 yrs ago; & previously stopped offering "best offer" options, because...OMG, many get outrageous. :smuggrin:

19. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Ebay has always had its fair share of **** sellers and buyers. When you encounter them, just move on because ebay won't/can't do anything about them. They will always resurface under a different id if banned.

The problem may not however be entirely down to the seller every time. Since they introduced their new seller tool in the past year, it throws up a few issues that can be awkward for sellers. If you do a BIN, it automatically includes a best offer price which is crucially hidden behind a link and is set by ebay default to 50% of the BIN price. On a cheap item that can easily amount to the shipping cost, meaning you are giving the item away or even paying to sell it. If you don't check every link or option you can easily end up out of pocket, or else you have to put a price in at double what you want (which buyers then pass over). Another thing is when you offer free postage, ebay also apply by default their 'recommended postage' cost - which may or may not be the best or preferred option - making you look a bit iffy as a seller. These things are often not apparent until you look at the posted listing and increase the time taken to list things.

The old system (and the one before that even more so) worked a lot better for sellers due to its flexibility

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You can always leave poor feedback and post that seller on your avoid at all costs list.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  21. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I honestly don't think eBay allows you to offer for more than the BIN price. If they did, though, wait until another SGS comes around, and people would offer likely $2,000 for a $1,000 "MS68" Morgan.

Draft saved Draft deleted