Don't know what it's worth if anything

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Brian Wilkerson, May 21, 2018.

1. Brian Wilkerson

Brian Wilkerson New Member

I don't know anything about this coin and would love to know more about it. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Cointalk
    If I where you I would post that on world coins. JMO
    Dave

4. Brian Wilkerson

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Better yet, in Ancients. IMHO, it's either Roman or a fake Roman.

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

It's a Roman coin of Antoninus Pius with Libertas holding a pileus on the reverse. Quick search indicates this is likely a sestertius, RIC 929 with obverse legend ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XVIII and reverse legend LIBERTAS COS IIII, minted in 154-155. Edited, there are a couple other reference numbers this could be due to the lack of complete obverse/reverse legends, but 929 is the most common and most likely.

Would love to know the weight to confirm it's a sestertius, should be in the 25 gram range. Edited to add, Nothing about the coin looks fake. In terms of value, I think the $50 range is reasonable. The legends are not complete and readable, but it's got decent detail and decent surfaces.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  7. Brian Wilkerson

Thank you I'll let my wife know she's been holding on to it for a while just had questions about it thank you again it does have some weight to it I'll put it on the scale when I get home in the morning

JPeace$, beef1020 and longshot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted