Don't be dumb, never pay for your coins using Paypal's gift payment

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter T Davis, Aug 28, 2014.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It does put you are risk. Paypal could decide to start enforcing their policy and then it could be an issue. I doubt it will happen, but it could.

I honestly don't care what other people do...I just know what I do because I don't want to get burned.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Is this really an informed comment? Does Paypal really get cheated when I pay the fee to send a seller a "gift" payment? If not, your comments just seem to insult honest CT members who offer a rock bottom price to their customers.:bag:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    bkozak33 and Tinpot like this.
  4. torontokuba

For the sake of common sense on a large purchase, if I opt for the Paypal "gift" payment to seller and pay the required fee on my end, while selecting the credit card option tied into my Paypal account, wouldn't I still be protected by my credit card's Purchase Protection?

5. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Yes, although it may not be a 100% guarantee that you'd win a dispute. I'm not sure whether or not paypal could successfully make the argument to the CC company that you were gifting the money. I.e. there should be no reason for a chargeback since it was a gift.

6. CamaroDMD

If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong as I don't buy using paypal gift)...there is only a fee when sending payment as a gift if it is from a credit card. If it's a direct transfer from a bank account then there is no fee as long as both parties are in the US. If someone is trying to save as much as possible, this would avoid paypal fees. So, YOU...the buyer would not be paying any fees. Now, if you use your credit card there is a fee...and I think it's the same 2.9% + $0.30 fee.

What I normally do if there is an item for sale that I want and the seller asks or a gift...I simply ask if I can pay normally and add the additional 2.9% + $0.30. Normally, it's not an issue.

7. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Maybe it's just me but I'm the type who would never just grab a beer out of your fridge. I'd wait till it was offered to me.

geekpryde likes this.
  8. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

You really need to visit Canada more Peter... we get insulted if you don't help yourself to a cold beer (followed by profuse apologies)...

Tinpot, jaceravone and bkozak33 like this.
  9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

If paying via Bank Transfer, there is no fee for a "gift" for either party. Meaning, in scenario one, Paypal takes their cut. In scenario two, Paypal gets nothing monetarily (it does help promote the Brand), it is "cheated" of their cut. So, in my small world, your comment is the one that is uninformed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

This is correct.

11. torontokuba

I always have a fee, being A - an international transaction via bank or B - using credit card. I do not think that I am dealing in transactions that lack integrity, are cheating Paypal, are cheater prone, are lacking scruples or heading down a slippery slope. There are tons of people out there, who only have a credit card tied into their Paypal. They always pay fees to Paypal and their credit card. To me that means many transaction fees, not an avoidance of them.

It is just easier to give someone a rock-bottom price and let them worry about the fees, especially if you're already dealing with hundreds of other transactions from a variety of other sources, on a monthly basis. Not being a platform for my payments or a storefront for my shopping experience, just a means for a link to appear in a thread, CT should really mind its own business, as far as my private email transactions are concerned. I simply see it as a convenient way to call out honest and fair members, tarnishing their reputation, as without integrity, cheats and lacking scruples.

There are way too many variables and payment options while using Paypal, for any one person to generalize others as either scrupulous or not. Unless you are sitting and viewing both sides of every transaction done by CT members, the comment is uninformed and will stay as uninformed, not to mention that I expected a bit more impartiality from the head guru of CT (a platform without a payment system, shopping cart or even a wish list).

bkozak33 likes this.
  12. CamaroDMD

So...if your going to pay the fees either way, why not simply follow Paypal's policies and thus ensure you have buyer protection through them in-case something goes wrong with the purchase? It seems to me...that if I am going to pay the same price either way, why not ensure you are protected. Seems like common sense to me.

13. torontokuba

As already mentioned, common courtesy between friends, transaction partners, ease of use of a Paypal feature/option and the freedom to decide who pays the fees in the transaction. To quote medoraman...

------

At no point in time do I feel that I am involved in an unscrupulous transaction or dealing with a shady or unscrupulous individual. The paranoia and fear that you're selling here, do not enter the equation for me. I tend to pick my transaction partners using the same common sense you speak of and have never involved Paypal in a dispute, always settled any rare issues directly with seller.

bkozak33 likes this.
  14. CamaroDMD

I'm not selling any paranoia or fear. My point is, paypal has a policy about this...even if you completely trust them the seller. Why put yourself at risk of losing your ability to use paypal or losing their protection. It just doesn't make sense...you are paying the exact same money either way. Simply have the seller add the fees to the purchase price. I simply don't understand your logic of willingly taking risk when there is NO benefit to either party.

15. torontokuba

What risk? Use common sense when picking and choosing your transactions and partners. Develop rapport, establish trust, let that trust flourish. Simple.

There is little stopping a dishonest seller from adhering to all Paypal fees, then claiming your item was sent and probably got lost in the mail or sending you an empty envelope with tracking. This witch-hunt makes no sense. Yes, I see it as selling paranoia and fear, not just you specifically, the topic in general. Also, nice to be called "dumb" right off the bat.

There is a benefit to the seller. He/she doesn't have to do any additional calculations on his/her rock-bottom price. He/she appreciates the ease of the no-nonsense transaction and he/she does not incur fees.

I cover the fees while using my Paypal account with my favorite option, credit card. I benefit from a rock-bottom price and dirt cheap shipping.

Trust, try it sometime.

16. CamaroDMD

Look...you wanna be stupid, that's fine with me.

I have never had a problem doing it my way...and the fact that I play by the rules keeps me out of trouble with Paypal. It has nothing to do with trust...it simply has to do with covering all my bases. I'd prefer to be safe whenever possible, especially when it adds no additional cost of any kind.

17. torontokuba

If stupid means extending trust to others and receiving it in return, I'll deal with stupid people over a paranoid fearmonger, any day. Going through life covering all your bases for a false sense of security, could look a bit like an illness. I guess it depends on who's looking. Enjoy your safety nets, but, don't trip over them.

Tinpot likes this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. Does "extending trust to others and receiving it in return" include "receiving trust" from PayPal that you'll adhere to their User Agreement, specifically part 4.1?

19. torontokuba

I'm not a seller. Anyone I have established trust and rapport with, doesn't have to ask. I just pay the fees so Paypal gets their share and I receive a great price, great service and honesty in return. As mentioned before, it is done as a courtesy, eliminates additional work, eliminates additional emails, eliminates additional calculations, etc. The seller gets a long term no-nonsense client and a few perks. Relationships in any business develop and after a certain point or number of transactions, trust and mutual respect is formed. After that point, both parties make an effort to look after each other's interests. Isn't that the real world?

Draft saved Draft deleted