Donna, Furry Frog?.Bing ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mammothtooth, Sep 27, 2022.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

good luck with the storm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

In terms of taking everything into account, weather taxes, cultural venues, services I would suggest rural or small town places in the mid Atlantic region. A little bit of everything but not a whole lot of anything.

-jeffB likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Btw sir, I too wish that everything will be fine with the Hurricane coming in. Reading its now a Cat4, almost Cat5. Hope everyone on CT in the path of this storm is taking cover and is safe. God Bless.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Mother nature has her good and bad in, I think, all locations on God's green earth. I remember when a snow storm left 39 inches at my home in West Virginia. I had to leave my car parked at the road and walk the 1000 feet up my drive. I thought I would die blazing a trail thru that snow. Naw, I'll take the occasional hurricane.

6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I always try to tell myself "at least we don't have hurricanes" here in Colorado when I'm shoveling a foot or two of snow off my driveway for the second or third time of the season. Then I remember we have wildfires every year and freak hail storms with baseball sized hail and often just minutes of warning. Sometimes a hurricane with a few days of warning seems preferable.

Voldemort and sand like this.
  7. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I participate on both forums, Cointalk and Numis Forums, although I am much more active on the latter, and a supporter as well.

I like the layout of Numis Forums. It is easy to navigate. Also, I like the ease of attaching photos and editing posts, which I do very often, mainly due to declining eye-hand coordination when typing.

One thing that I find somewhat troublesome is Cointalk's restriction of a file's description to 100 characters. This is not an issue with Numis Forums (at least I haven't hit a limit there yet). While this may seem trivial, it is time consuming to go back to a file, rename it to meet the 100 characters limit and then reopen it. I don't have a character count tracker when I create my image descriptions, so I have to guess if the description means the requirement. I cannot lean close to the screen and count the characters; my eyesight and dysfunctional brain won't allow that. I try to keep the descriptions concise and not encyclopedic, but, really, 100 characters are really not much to work with.

Do miss conversing with CT members. There is so much knowledge and expertise, as well as comradery. I try to stay in touch with CT, but it is kind of difficult to post both here and on Numis Forums.

8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I miss all of you. Those who stayed and those who left. Cheers..

Factor, Alegandron and Kentucky like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That sounds like my old friend Ira (who sold business supplies) who said to me once....."I like all of my customers. Some that come and some that go". :)

ZoidMeister, LakeEffect and sand like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I really miss our "Ancient Mariners" and have gone to NumisForums sometimes, but my attention is not solely directed at ancients, and I do enjoy the banter on CT. I just regret that tempers and sensitivities have driven people away.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. red_spork

There's a lot more going on than that. There have been a lot of people banned over the past few years - in some cases for relatively minor things, in other cases with no stated reason at all and administrators here wouldn't provide a reason or allow the banned members to appeal. It's to the point where I am hesitant to recommend other collectors to join because I know there's about a 50% chance they'll be banned by an automated system within a week even if they don't break any rules and in some cases don't even make a single post.

But hey, when you're the infallible GDJMSP, why ever consider the possibility that you made a mistake?

12. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

The mods are necessary, as the forum would devolve into an animal house without them. I do not envy their job though, because drawing arbitrary lines in an infinite spectrum of possibilities is an extremely difficult thing to do, especially when your decisions negatively affect people that had no real way of knowing where the lines were drawn in the first place.

That being said, assuming that the stories that I came away with were correct, there have been instances where people have been banned for things that left me scratching my head.

In the end, the way that I think about it is: Every post that I make is a roll of the dice. You never know what silly thing is going to set some silly person off, which could instigate a back and forth that results in being banned. With all of that in mind, I simply utilize the forum in a manner that is entertaining for me and appropriate by my standards.

If..or when..I end up getting banned? Welp, I guess I'll just find something else to do.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Just had our power restored after nearly 2 days. The wind was the worse I have ever seen. Our area was spared the worst though and for that we are grateful. Pray for those who were impacted much worse than us.

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I like everybody. It saddens me that this silly stuff goes haywire

LakeEffect and Kentucky like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll agree to disagree. I really miss most of the people who have been banned, but the few cases that I know much about make sense to me. I have never seen any administrator (not even @GDJMSP ) tell WHY someone was banned, because that's not their job to explain themselves. I enjoy your posts and sincerely hope that you manage not to be expelled :)

16. red_spork

I will be here until they kick me out, as well as posting at Numisforums and a few other places. I don't really mind posting in several places if it gives my post more reach. I do my best not to break the rules set on any given venue I post in and, as far as I can remember, have never received so much as a warning at any of the places I regularly post, but that won't save me if my number comes up for the random ban of the day.

Voldemort, Kentucky and masterswimmer like this.
  17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Too boring. Gotta live a little closer to the edge. Makes life more exciting.

J/K, I respect your approach. I have a tough time holding my tongue sometimes. The older I get the less 'fluffs' I give. ;)

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The ignore feature saved me here. Never been banned, but warned once or twice on the PM forum due to a couple of people. A few well placed ignores, and back on track. I can get wound up to, but online either use ignore tools or simply electronically walk away. You cannot teach something to someone unwilling to learn.

Alegandron and sand like this.
  19. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

That Frog guy got baited by something political? No way!? I would’ve never guessed that.

20. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Recently, my coin interests have turned considerably ancient, specifically Byzantine, so I've consequently spent a lot more time at Numisforums than I have here. I also completely missed the schism and didn't realize that it had occurred until someone posted a "what happened?" thread. I do still visit this forum, and, like others, I miss "the old days" when everyone posted on this single site.

The only thing I have really noticed is that the political battles that seemed endemic to this board over the years (I joined in 2008 and probably contributed to a few of them) have not really happened at Numisforums. Or perhaps I've missed them? Or perhaps they just haven't happened yet? I don't know how to explain that, and I don't mean this as an accusation against anyone, but some of the deep ire I saw here many times hasn't crept into that other site.

I've always considered this forum as having a somewhat volatile atmosphere (not only politically, I saw some coin newcomers treated horribly) and I always really watched what I posted, even when I really wanted to say more (I probably slipped more than once, unfortunately). I don't know if many "like minds" congregated at Numisforums and so those issues just don't appear there, or if the previous combination of different groups here made this forum a little more flammable. Either way, this site feels a lot less confrontational now, but I can't fully explain why. That said, I miss the old atmosphere and "one stop shop" this place used to have.

In any case, I don't plan on leaving permanently, but I will split time between forums. Maybe someday reconciliation could occur, but it doesn't look promising.

Voldemort and Kentucky like this.
  21. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Nor have those politically riddled threads occurred here since those that have left took their discourse with them.

That's not to say they won't happen here again.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted