Domitian Shares in the Glory

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jul 4, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I recently got this worn rarity at a bargain price, a price I think that is well worth the neat little story behind it.

V650.jpg Domitian as Caesar [Vespasian]
    Æ As, 10.02g
    Rome mint, 73 AD
    Obv: CAESAR AVG F DOMITIAN COS II; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: VICTORIA NAVALIS; S C in field; Victory stg. r. on prow, with wreath and palm
    RIC 650 (R). BMC -. BNC 708.
    Acquired from London Ancient Coins, June 2020.

Vespasian's moneyers first began striking this Victoria Navalis type in 71 during his great bronze issue. The type traditionally has been attributed to the so-called naval victory Vespasian and Titus won on Lake Gennesaret (the Sea of Galilee) during the Jewish War and was repeatedly struck throughout Vespasian's reign for both of them, perhaps indicating how important it was to their military gravitas. It is then quite remarkable the type was also chosen as an appropriate reverse for Domitian Caesar, who was in his late teens and living in Rome when the naval battle took place. He was hardly in a position to offer any involvement! Perhaps it best can best be viewed as the young prince sharing in the family's collective military glory. This rare example from 73 is the earliest appearance of the type for Domitian.

I don't mind this kind of wear on a coin - it's still attractive and more importantly it didn't break the bank! The best of both worlds.

Please share your worn wonders!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Nice David. Here's one from Hadrian.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-CJNtnbehvhi-Hadrian 4.jpg

Hadrian (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass AS
    HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS - Laureate and draped bust of Hadrian right.
    COS III around, S-C across fields, - Tyche of Antioch seated left on rock, holding grain ears, river-god Orontes swimming left below.
    Exergue:

Mint: Rome/Antioch (125-128 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 8.91g / 23mm / 6h
    References:
    RIC II 680
    BMCRE 1350
    McAlee 544
    Sear 3696
    Acquisition/Sale: fvrivs.rvfvs eBay $0.00 03/19
    Notes: Apr 29, 19 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

Slightly after 300 B.C. the Greek sculptor Eutychides created a colossal statue of Tyche, the goddess of fortune, for the newly founded city of Antioch. Eutychides' statue had a tremendous impact and was copied by artists in a variety of scales and materials for the next 500 years. The goddess sits on a rock leaning forward, bracing herself on her left arm. Her right hand holds a sheaf of grain, a symbol of prosperity. Wrapped in long garments, she wears a crown in the form of city walls. A small, separately cast figure personifying the Orontes River once swam at her feet.

singig, octavius, TheRed and 8 others like this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Pretty worn.
    VespasianAsNavalis.jpg
    Vespasian. 69-79 AD. Æ As (27 mm, 11.02 gm, 6h). Rome mint, struck 71 AD. Obv: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG P P COS III, laureate head r. Rev: VICTORIA - NAVALIS, Victory on prow r., holding wreath and palm branch; in field, S - C. RIC 503; C. 632

singig, octavius, TheRed and 7 others like this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Great find David, I would love to add one to my collection!

TitusVictoriaAugust.jpg
    TITUS, as Caesar. 79-81 AD. Æ As 28mm 8.6 gm. Struck 74 AD. O: T CAES IMP PON TR P COS III CENS, laureate head left R: VICTORIA AVGVST, S C across field, Victory standing right on prow, holding wreath and palm. RIC 755 (Vespasian); BMCRE 711A (Vespasian) note var. (head right); cf. Cohen 363.

This obverse legend with PON TR P added and CAESAR abbreviated to CAES is only known on one coin paired with this reverse type (BMCRE 711A note), but that coin's obverse has Titus facing right. The references mentioned are from the only other example I could find online. I believe this is the third known left facing example.

The Victoria Avgvst, Avgvsti and Navalis Victory on the prow types probably commemorate Titus' pursuit of the Jews at Tarichæa, and the same circumstance doubtless explains why Titus brought a large number of ships with him when he entered Rome in triumph.

singig, octavius, TheRed and 4 others like this.
  6. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Sometimes worn is better, particularly if there's story to tell. Much like people ;).

This is a Sestertius from Claudius (41-50AD), EX S C OB CIVES SERVATOS (RIC 96):

upload_2020-7-5_1-12-18.png

It has a countermark 'PROB' on the obverse, applied to give official approval for use in such places as Britain, Spain and Gaul. Sometimes countermarks were used to re-value/legitimise old, worn or even barbarous coins. The countermarks were meant to be applied carefully and not over the emperor's portrait, but something went very wrong here...

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin David, another struck around the same time by his brother. 340.jpeg
    Titus. As Caesar, AD 69-79. Æ As (26mm, 11.08g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck under Vespasian, AD 73. Laureate head right / VICTORIA NAVALIS, S C across field, Victory standing right on prow, holding palm frond and wreath. RIC II 644. VF Navalis.....commemorating victory over the Jews on the sea of Galilee.

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a very attractive coin David. Congrats on adding this one.

Here is a worn coin that I love. A left facing Domitian denarius.
    Domitian RIC 1085 [Vespasian].png

PeteB, Johndakerftw, singig and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted