Domitian Sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Colby J., Nov 7, 2019.

1. Colby J.

Colby J. Well-Known Member

After some immense cleaning and retouching I have finally gotten a portrait out of this stupid thing. The obverse head is of the emperor Domitian! This sestertius still needs a lot of work before it goes into my collection though. I think I have the coin: but I need to run it by you guys just to make sure. :D :O ;] IMG_9817.jpg

Domitian:
    Material:
    Bronze
    Date: AD 81
    Denomination: Æ Sestertius
    Mint: Rome
    Obverse: IMP CAES DIVI VESP F DOMITIAN AVG P M: Bust of Domitian, laureate, draped on left shoulder, right
    Reverse: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P S C: Minerva standing left, holding vertical spear in right hand

So here's a different example that I found while researching. Its a match!
    Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 4.55.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 4.55.42 PM.png
    And here's my example again just so you can see how massive this thing really is. It is almost the size of a Morgan!
    Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 4.45.16 PM.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@Colby J. can measure your coin? I do not have a sestertius of Domitian, but below is an As with a measurement of 27mm. A sestertius should be 33 mm or bigger.

Domitian 2.jpg
    DOMITIAN
    AE As
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS POT P P, laureate head right, aegis at tip of bust
    REVERSE: MONETA AVGVSTI, S-C, Moneta standing left, holding scales & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 85AD
    11.7g, 27mm
    RIC 384

BTW, nice coin and great cleaning job!

4. Colby J.

It's definitely a sestertius. The weight is 19.4 grams. I have many other sestertius' that are twice as small.

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

A sestertius of Domitian should be 25+ grams and about 35mm. Anything smaller will be an As or Dupondius. Over the years of course the weight and diameter of the sestertius decreased. I'm not sure how you came up with Domitian though...

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

My Domitian sestertius experience is limited, but I have a very worn one, stripped that comes in at this: 21.86 grams / 31 mm. Bad photo - it is very brassy yellow - it probably lost 3 grams in stripped patina!

Domitian Sest Jupiter Feb 2019 (0).jpg

Domitian Æ Sestertius
    (95-96 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

[IMP CAES] DOMIT AVG GERM COS XVII CENS [PER P P], laureate head right / [IOVI VIC]TORI SC, Jupiter seated left holding Victory & sceptre.
    RIC 794.
    (21.86 grams / 31 mm)

Orfew, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  7. Colby J.

I know. What really got me was the reverse. To me it's an exact match.

Draft saved Draft deleted