Domitian, Dacia, And A Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Oct 6, 2015.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Domitian's imperial acclamations were piling up fairly rapidly in 86 due to ongoing battles fought against the Dacians. This denarius from the fifth issue of 86 struck after mid September records his 14th imperial acclamation. Many of the denarii of 86 are rendered in fine style and are quite scarce, this coin being a delightful example of such.

One would assume that denarii minted during a time of heavy campaigning with multiple imperial acclamations would be plentiful, but mysteriously that does not seem to be the case!

D454.jpg
    Domitian RIC 454
    AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 86 AD
    RIC 454 (R), BMC p. 320 †, RSC 208
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VI; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XIIII COS XII CENS P P P; Minerva adv. r., with spear and shield (M1)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Wonderful example Mr. David. :)

4. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Glorious.

David Atherton likes this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

"Fine style" is an understatement. What a gorgeous coin.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice coin indeed. I am not a big fan of Domitian the man, but I love his coinage. Here are just a few of mine: Domitian 8.jpg Domitian 3.jpg Domitian 5.jpg Domitian 2.jpg Domitian 9.jpg

7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, another amazing coin David. I love the style of the portrait and that reverse has some great detail.

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!

Bing has some real beauties, but yours looks about what AJ would post!!
    Congrats "Mr David' !!!!

9. David Atherton

Well done! The first denarius you post has the quite rare imperial acclamation 17. I don't have that one with the capital of rostral column and owl. And as a side note, your first two denarii appear to have been engraved by the same hand!

Bing likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You're the expert, so I'll take your word on it. Thanks for the comments and info.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very slick new Domitian, V-70 (congrats)

=> here is my only example of this dude ...

domitiana.jpg domitianb.jpg
    [​IMG]

Hey, V-70 => note that my sweet Minerva is pointed the opposite way (man, they'd look pretty cool "together" if you ever want to send it my way)

;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  12. Mikey Zee

Gorgeous Example, Steve

13. David Atherton

Thanks Steve! You have a great example there.

The four standard Minerva types struck by Domitian must've been copied from well known generic "in the round" representations that could have been found in most temples dedicated to her worship. Your denarius is the (M3) Minerva standing, facing left, with thunderbolt and spear and shield behind her feet - Minerva with the attributes of Jupiter.

stevex6 likes this.
  14. Mikey Zee

My only denarius, or any other example, of Domitian---a 'poor man's' version of Steve's post from an old 'first try' photo.
    DSCF0391.JPG DSCF0392.JPG

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll add three 'different' Domitians not in great condition but that I found appealing.
    COS VII DES VIII with more frontal pose
    re1470bb1730.jpg

The dupondius is probably barbarous and shows only DES VIIII.
    re1500bb0253.jpg

The fourree is not 'official' style but I consider it very well cut. The COS II date is inconsistent with the rest of the coin (XII would be better).
    re1560bb0423.jpg

16. David Atherton

A nice example of the Minerva holding Victory type struck early in the reign. Too bad that pose was never standardised along with the other four Minerva types.

17. David Atherton

This is what I'd call a typical common Domitian denarius. I love it!

Draft saved Draft deleted