Domitian AE with CERES AVGVST

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

When Vespasian died his sons Titus and Domitian issued coins with legends noting that they were sons of the deified Vespasian. Here is one of Domitian:

DomitianCERESAVGVST1868.jpg
    29-28 mm. 8.30 grams.
    Listed as a dupondius with a note that they can be hard to distinguish from asses.
    CAES DIVI VESP F DOMITIAN COS VII
    Laureate head right
    CERES AVGVST
    Ceres standing left holding ears of grain and a long torch, S C either side
    Struck 80-81 AD at Rome as Caesar under Titus according to "COS VII" in the legend because Domitian became COS VII in 80 and COS VIII in 82.
    The obverse is perfectly centered on a large flan. The lettering is remarkably bold and even--very pleasing. The reverse shows corrosion pits and the flan is what I call dry.
    Sear I 2687. RIC II.1 (Titus) 333, as a dupondius, "R". The RIC plate coin is not as nice.

@David Atherton , do you have some AE of Domitian to show us? Does anyone else?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Johndakerftw, Jwt708, TIF and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a great portrait @Valentinian

Domitian 2.jpg
    DOMITIAN
    AE As
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS POT P P, laureate head right, aegis at tip of bust
    REVERSE: MONETA AVGVSTI, S-C, Moneta standing left, holding scales & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 85AD
    11.7g, 27mm
    RIC 384
    Domitian 7.jpg
    DOMITIAN
    AE As
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XVI CENS PER P P, laureate head right
    REVERSE: MONETA AVGVSTI, Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
    Struck at Rome, 92-94AD
    10g, 26mm
    RIC 756
    Domitian 9.jpg
    DOMITIAN
    AE Dupondius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XII CENS PER P P, radiate head right
    REVERSE: S-C, Mars advancing left, holding Victory & trophy
    Struck at Rome, 86 AD
    11.6g, 27mm
    RIC 482

Ajax, Johndakerftw, Jwt708 and 6 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

No, I exclusively collect silver. However, I have this denarius with a Ceres reverse struck for Domitian under Vespasian. It's part of an agrarian themed issue.

V976.jpg Domitian as Caesar
    AR Denarius, 3.35g
    Rome mint, 77-78 AD (Vespasian)
    RIC 976 (C). BMC 323. RSC 30.
    Obv: CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: CERES AVGVST; Ceres stg. l., with corn ears and poppy and sceptre
    Acquired from Forvm Ancient Coins, December 2014.

Ajax, Johndakerftw, TIF and 3 others like this.
  6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

RIC-308. Laureate head of Domitian facing right; Reverse: Victory flying left with shield inscribed: "S P / Q R", "S C" at either side.

Stacks August 2017 lot 24122, Ex: MacCormack Collection (assembled ca. 1868-1900).

domitian_obv.jpg domitian_rev.jpg

Ajax, Clavdivs, Bing and 6 others like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My only AE that fits is this sestertius with Spes.
    rb1450b00194lg.jpg

Ajax, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My only AE of Domitian.

Domitian - As Victory 399.jpg DOMITIAN
    AE As. 10.84g, 29.8mm. Rome mint, AD 85. RIC 421 (R2). O: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS PER P P, laureate head right with aegis. R: Victory flying left with shield inscribed SP/QR; S-C in fields.

Ajax, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have some bronze issues of Domitian but they're Alexandrian and that's probably not what you meant.

I'm going to show them anyway :D

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Domitian
    AE obol, 20 mm, 5 gm
    regnal year 10, CE 90/91
    Obv: laureate head right
    Rev: AVTKAIΣAPOMITIANOΣΣEBΓEPM; Isis-Thermouthis standing right; LI in right field
    Ref: Emmett 321.10, R5; RPC 2593; Geissen 376

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Domitian. Regnal year 10, CE 90/91. Æ diobol (25mm, 10.86 g, 12h). AVT KAICAP ΔΟ ΜΙΤ CEB ΓΕΡΜ, laureate head right / Agathodaemon serpent, wearing the skhent crown (emblematic of upper and lower Egypt), on horseback galloping left; L I (date) below. Köln –; Dattari (Savio) –; K&G 24.109; RPC II 2585; SNG Copenhagen 214; Emmett 277.10 (R5).
    Ex Giovanni Maria Staffieri Collection
    Ex West Coast/Lloyd Beauchaine Collection (Classical Numismatic Group 41, 19 March 1997), lot 1110
    Ex Classical Numismatic Review Vol. XVI, No. 1 (January 1991), lot 31
    Ex Numismatic Fine Arts Fall Mail Bid Sale (18 October 1990), lot 2365

Appearances:
    Staffieri, Alexandria In Nummis 39 (this coin)
    Obverse illustrated in Emmett as the header for the Domitian section, p. 24 (this coin)
    Fully illustrated in Emmett, p. 26 (this coin, discussing the unusual reverse).
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/so-these-exist-snake-cowboys.314032/

Ajax, NLL, Valentinian and 6 others like this.
  11. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That's one bronze coin I would trade a small hoard of silver denarii for!

Valentinian, beef1020 and TIF like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Given the place this coin occupies in the TIF collection, I suggest you cough up a small hoard of aurei.

David Atherton and TIF like this.
  13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@TIF 's magnificent "snake on horseback" coin, which many of us would love to own, gives us a chance to pause and consider how much a really special coin is worth to us. I expect most of us typically buy in a limited dollar range. If we see a really special coin, we might go higher, but this coin illuminates the question of how much higher--how much outside our usual range we would go. Given the months we have had to appreciate (and covet) this coin (It has been posted on CT several times), some of us might go much higher than usual. Are you able to make such a decision rapidly, say, in the time frame until an upcoming auction? Or, are you always going to bid too low on very special coins because it is hard to break out of your usual bidding habits?

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This is a good question! I don't budget my coining very well. If I was smarter or more disciplined, I would have a stash ready to go to bid my heart's desire...sadly, I have to bid within a current monthly spending. If I knew something was coming to market, then I would change my strategy.

I buy my ancients almost exclusively from one seller. He knows who he is! With my token collection (which has been severely neglected!) I'm forced to deal with eBay sellers. Out of all my transactions (I have over 500 tokens) only one seller of fakes...but the problem is I have no idea what they're going to sell. Then there will be a seller liquidating a collection and put a ton of rare tokens up all at the same time! This is super frustrating because as the bidding gets serious, I can no longer focus on all the rare tokens, but only one because I can't absorb multiple big hits to the budget.

Draft saved Draft deleted