Domain name suggestion

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by goossen, Sep 24, 2009.

1. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I'm thinking on buying a domain for my website... Which name do you think it would be good ?
    It should be easy to remember and of course, coin related. ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

What sort of coins do you collect? What will the website be about? These sorts of things should be incorporated and encapsulated in a good domain name.

4. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

CoinCrook would stick out well. AND sure would be a name people would remember.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Goossenscoins.com?

6. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

CoinTrader.com
    TheCoinGuy.com
    CoinFun.com
    YourstatesnameCoins.com

7. skippy

skippy Senior Member

A little advice, about domain names.
    Be careful about telling/asking others, in an open forum, what your domain is/should be BEFORE you register it. There are people out there that will search out such things and register them BEFORE you do. Then hold them for monetary ransom essentially. I had a co-worker that this happened to. And I've read about other "domain name squatters" that do other similar tactics. I've got a domain squatter sitting on one of my domain names I owned for years. I had a very good website with many hits on it over the years on this domain and I accidentally let the registration period lapse and it was snatched up by the domain squatter. Now there is a link farm (Wikipedia) on that domain and the current owner won't sale for a decent amount.

Luckily I had another "backup" domain to use.

8. WhereEaglesDare

WhereEaglesDare Junior Member

Goossen.com? Its your screen name, why not?

9. skippy

skippy Senior Member

10. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

coins.biz
    coins.us
    coinusinteruptus.net
    donateforcoinage.org

11. dotplanners

dotplanners Junior Member

Domains and Coins

BNB is correct. If you post a request for a domain name that best fits your website and business, some people will actually INVEST THEIR TIME AND MONEY to go try and pick up domains that you might be interested in buying. It's called "Capitalism". BNB would like to call them "cybersquatters" because he didn't think of the domain first and go buy it.

I'm a coin investor and domain investor both. I was going to put up a website with one of my domains, "COINADVISOR.COM", but I found that I could make a lot more money investing in generic descriptive domain names. That shows you how good of a coin investor I am... lol

However, I think "coinadvisor.com" is a good domain. EDITED - please no offers to buy/sell/trade. Read the rules.

For BNB, get out there and buy up all the coin investing phrase variations in domain names that you can. Then come back here in a few months and tell us how much money you made selling them!

I'm positive you won't be calling yourself a "cybersquatter". :D

BTW, this forum has the best emoticons of any forum I've joined, and I belong to over 50. Good job!

Love the domain name "cointalk.com" too. That domain is worth about $10,000, or probably more, since it was registered in 1999 and most likely has some excellent backlinks!

I hope to talk more about my coins in my next post, but you guys will be waaaaay beyond my wimpy collection, I'm sure... I have this copper penny though, from 1942... (jk)
    :hug:

12. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Thanks to all for the advices... finally got ParaguayCoins.com :)

13. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Good one! Just make sure people don't think they are actually coins from Paraguay.. ;)

14. dotplanners

ParaguayCoins.com

Are you sure you want to limit your website name to a geo-specific brand website?

A "geo-specific" domain name is what domain investors, SEO consultants and online marketers call a domain that identifies a geological location (street, zip, city, state, country, continent, etc), such as the one you just bought, ParaguayCoins.com. Now all the coin collectors in the world will know that your website, called "paraguaycoins.com" sell coins from Paraguay. If they aren't interested in Paraguayan coins, then they won't visit your website.

If you want to do business with the world of internet coin collectors, you need a generic, NON-GEO-SPECIFIC domain name. You need a domain name that presents your coin collection service on a universal level, not a country specific level. It's a nice domain, for sure. But get a domain name that doesn't prevent potential customers from contacting you because you've labeled yourself into a corner with your domain name.

Hope this helps!:hail:

15. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

I'd like some paraguay coins.

16. dotplanners

Apologies to BNB Analytics

Wow, I blew it on my first response to BNB. It was actually meant for "SKIPPY", who was whining about losing a domain name he failed to renew. Kind of like someone complaining they were foreclosed on after failing to pay the mortgage. His comments seemed a little harsh towards domain name investors, but he didn't present any "domain suggestions" for the original thread author.

As far as BNB, I reviewed his comment above, and I saw two domains, one domain in particular, that could be VERY valuable in the domain aftermarket.

COINFUN.COM - This is a very nice domain name for someone who wants to build a coin collection blog, forum, website of any type promoting "coin fun". I like it! This domain is probably worth about $2000.

THECOINGUY.COM - Domainers don't like prepositions or "the" or conjunctions in their domains. Pure adjectives and subjects, or plain subjects in one word "naturals" that are worth thousands to millions of dollars. But in this case, THECOINGUY.COM is very brandable. How can you forget it? That's what makes a domain name valuable. Can you remember it after seeing it for five seconds? This domain is worth about $300 - $700.

My sincere apologies to BNB Analytics for my answer. I'm surprised I wasn't slapped silly by him/her - they must have a lot of class. My mistake, but that doesn't let Skippy off the hook for his outdated prejudice against domain buyers. Heck, he owned the domain at one time, right? What if someone else wanted that domain too? Did they call him a "cybersquatter"?

If you lose your domain to someone else because you didn't renew it, it's not the new owner's fault. They don't know anything about you. They didn't buy the domain to make you mad. They just saw a domain become available on some domain auction site (where they sell expired domains daily - such as Snapnames.com) and they bought the domain that poor Skippy lost. Take heart though, I own over 3500 domains, and I've lost almost a hundred valuable domains by failing to renew them.

Anyway, I think Goossen would have a better website for his coins if he bought "CoinFun.com". And if not, try my domain CoinAdvisor.com. My domain will cost at least low four figures U.S. Funds. I think "CoinFun.com" is less expensive but a great brand.:kewl:

17. skippy

skippy Senior Member

I'm not going to start a flame war but dotplanners you are wrong in your assessment of what I was really getting at.
    I can't stand people who buy domains to only put up these link farm pages based on keyword searches. They waste EVERYONE's time. They do nothing but slow web searchers down to get to the real information on real sites. Nearly 80-90% of these types of sites are full of ad and malware. (Those are my round-about numbers from accumulated info over the years.) The popup blockers & Anti-virus stuff catches SOME of it. And I can't how many times I've had to clean off peoples computers due to this stuff. These trashy pages just need to go away.

And no I would and will NOT suggest any domain suggestions as I indicated in my first response because I DON'T want them to get taken by people digging around, trying to find such things that they didn't think of first. If someone asked me in a PM, then ok. But not publically.

If you get additional domains, that's ok, but don't try to make a few cents extra and waste everyone's time with these "fake" link sites.

18. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

So with my suggestion of CoinCrook, just who would want to steal that?

19. skippy

skippy Senior Member

Hehe... you never know in this day and age!

It could be a new insurance service that insures against stolen coins. In that the "insurance company" steals your "coin". :D

20. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Well, thanks all for your replies. I know the "geo-problem" with my domain name. But I don't see it like a real problem. My idea is not (this time) to "invest" in a domain name. Just wanted a new one for my personal website. I'll see if I can get any other, maybe in spanish; but again, I'm not interested in spending $,$$$ on a name. For me this is a hobby, not a investment. :)

21. Uberman

Uberman Junior Member

Actually, "cybersquatters" ARE a problem and absolutely operate in an unethical manner.

They don't have any creativity, originality or independent thought. They scan 10000's of websites that are about to expire, snipe the registration in first second and then hold the site owners at huge ransoms. And for some people their entire business hinges on a website, so they have no choice but to pay extortionists their money.

Then when someone can't pay they put up JUNK links and clog up traffic.

This whole self-righteous talk about "capitalism" is just that, an attempt to justify unethical behavior.

Furthermore, to join random forums and try to register names people mention in polite discussion as an advice to each other is unethical behavior.

Draft saved Draft deleted