Dollar Coin usage still allowable?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by alhenry92, Sep 5, 2012.

1. alhenry92

alhenry92 Liberty Nickel Enthusiast

Hey all,
    i was just wondering if you can use (i wouldnt want to but im curious) the presidential gold dollar coins as currency. I know you could in 2010 but people looked at them as curiosity pieces. any input?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

You may use any US coinage in commerce.

4. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

As far as I know they should still be accepted. I was using them for the tolls as recent as a month ago.

5. alhenry92

I have an entire roll that is unopened and extras that are out of the roll too. I am definitely not using the rolls but the ones out of it i might.

6. Tom B

May I ask why you are saving them?

7. alhenry92

well i think some of them are beautiful, after i saw the coins for the first time i fell in love with them. If i were to use them, could i only use them at toll booths?

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

using a presidential dollar in comerce is agaist the law and can result in 15 - 25 years in prison.

9. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

A legal tender coin is legal tender. End of story.

10. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

That's one of the most egregious bits of bull ever posted at Coin Talk!

11. alhenry92

lol i am so sorry for asking such an idiotic question.
    I just wasnt sure

12. Tom B

They are legal tender. You can use them wherever you can use cash.

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I use them everday for my two dollar bridge toll. I try to mess up the toll collectors by handing them a Sac and a SBA, or a Presidential and an Ike, or two Kennedy halves and a SBA... but they never flinch. I always ask the tellers at my local bank for dollar coins and halves; today I picked up twenty (mix of Sacs, SBA's and Presidential) along with five Ikes and three Kennedy halves. Never hurts to ask. Then I sell the excess at the local flea market for a small profit. It still amazes me how many people have never even seen these coins.

14. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I say if you want some real attention when using coinage, pull out some Ike dollars. You can get them for face on and off at banks, depending on who cashed in their cash jars lately.

15. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

Can a recipient deny acceptance, are they eligible for any kind of monetary transaction and as payment of all public or private debt, and can this be enforced through law?
    (My question originated in the use of coins, but you can see it formulated in regards to bills too.)

I'm just interested in this answer, some time ago a German Court ruled that high denominations (100€ bills and higher) don't have to be accepted by the recipient under special circumstances were the value of exchanged goods is significantly lower than the received nominal (for example to buy a pretzel and pay with 100€).

16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Any coin or note ever issued by the US is still valid as legal tender. You can offer it as payment, but no one is required to accept denominations that you may offer in payment.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

In the US, any and all US coins and bills are legal tender and can be used for payment for any purchase. Every merchant has the right to refuse any and all legal tender for any purchase, and is in the right if they would only accept nickels, or skittles, or whatever they want.

18. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

Thank you for answering my question.

Ah, that's different for us. The acceptance of legal tender currency can be enforced by law (newer German 10€ coins are made of Cu/Ni, normally not intended for circulation, they can be had for their nominal value at any bank and be exchanged again, are fully eligible as legal tender and were enforced to be accepted by merchants through police on request of some collectors who had fun of bringing them in circulation :smile).

19. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I use dollar coins all the time. The girls at the bank are always eager to exchange paper for coins because they say nobody else comes in for them and they have tons of them. Besides, the vending machines at work take them easier than a dollar bill.
    Guy

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

If you want dollar coins, the MTA and Post Office machines dispense them by the dozens.....clunk clunk clunk.

21. enochian

enochian silver eater

i use them every day at work for every 5.00 i put in the change machine i get3 if i put a ten in i get 8 of them and the rest quarters iv almost got a full roll nice way to save up some money

Draft saved Draft deleted